Berkeley will not be impacted by Tuesday PG&E shutoff

Wikimedia/Courtesy

According to an AC Alert released earlier this evening, PG&E will have to extend the Public Safety Power Shutoff, or PSPS, again around 11 p.m. Tuesday because of heavy winds and increased fire danger in the area — however, the City of Berkeley is not expected to be impacted in this outage.

The city anticipates an all clearWednesday. Before restoring power to the dozens of counties affected, the company will also need to inspect and repair lines, which could take up to five days.

In the meantime, the city is working to address an array of issues stemming from PG&E’s intentional shutoff. It is also working to address the heavy winds and smoke spreading through the region because of nearby fires.

As of press time, Berkeley’s air quality is rated “moderate” by AirNow. With winds expected to pick up Tuesday afternoon, however, this rating could change. Residents should monitor the city’s website for protective measures regarding poor air quality health effects.

Those who have to rely on electricity for medical needs are encouraged to call 311 between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. and express their needs, allowing the city to help guide residents to individualized resources.

Updated 10/28/2019: This article has been updated to reflect more information from the city of Berkeley and the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.

Julie Madsen is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Julie_Madsen_.