Picks of the Week: Berkeley jazz and Ben & Jerry’s to spice up your Hallo-week

Cal Performances/Courtesy

Update 10/29/2019: this article was updated to include a cancellation due to the campus’ power outage.

Happy Monday, Berkeley. 

There is yet another PG&E shut-off at UC Berkeley this week, and the Kincade fire is still raging across Sonoma County, a sobering reminder that the effects of climate change are far too real for many Californians, let alone people in other parts of the world. So Monday through Friday, head to campus and check out the events and activities associated with Climate Justice Week, hosted by the Student Environmental Resource Center

Keep the campus spirit going on Tuesday with the UC Berkeley Jazz Ensembles Fall Concert at Freight & Salvage. Starting at 8 p.m., student-musicians from UC Jazz will show off their chops, playing everything from swing music to Latin jazz. Tickets cost $16 online or $20 at the door, plus fees. 

And stick around on Wednesday too, because the Mariinsky ballet and orchestra are coming to town. The St. Petersburg-based companies will perform “La Bayadère,” a story of love and loss set in ancient India, at Zellerbach Hall as part of Cal Performances’ 2019-2020 season. Opening night is Wednesday at 8 p.m., and tickets start at $95 for currently available seats, with a 50% discount for UC Berkeley students. If that’s a little steep for you, though, you could try to go to another show during the ballet’s six-performance run — the cheapest balcony tickets cost $25 for students. 

Then, happy Halloween! Have you planned out your perfect costume yet? I’ve convinced Olivia that this year, we should do a couples costume — one of us, a birder, and the other, the out-of-place flamingo that’s often seen around Coyote Hills Regional Park. But no matter what you decide to go as, make sure to scope out the perfect venue to show it off. 

For all you spooky (and 21+) scientists out there, that spot might be the California Academy of Sciences, and the event is “Creatures of the NightLife,” starting at 6 p.m. Beyond the annual outdoor drag show and costume contest hosted by Heklina, this after-hours extravaganza also includes ghost stories, scary movies, creepy crawlies and much, much more. Make sure to buy tickets ahead of time because the event fills up fast, and as a bonus, they’ll be cheaper if you buy online, at only $19.75. 

Or maybe you’re a creature of habit, in which case you should head over to the UC Theatre for the 8 p.m. screening of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” Off the screen, the show will also feature longtime live cast Barely Legal, which has been performing “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” around the Bay Area since 1995. As per usual, audience members are expected to participate, so brush up on the details if you’re not sure what to bring or how to dress. Tickets start at $16.50.

For a lot of people, Halloween is all about the candy, but you might have a different food focus for the next few weeks or so — starting Friday, it’s officially World Vegan Month. And no matter if you’ve never touched animal products or if you believe yourself to be strictly carnivorous, it’s always a good call to start eating a little more consciously. So make a meatless meal today — it could be a vegan nourish bowl or pesto “zoodles” or even simply a snack of pumpkin seed granola. And then celebrate — Ben & Jerry’s stores are giving out free scoops of nondairy dessert from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday. 

On Saturday, make your way to Oracle Park for Discovery Day, part of the Bay Area Science Festival. The free event, which lasts from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., brings all sorts of science experiments and games to the San Francisco Giants’ stadium. Attractions include a DNA extraction activity, virtual reality headsets and the “Robot Zoo.”

Now, when was the last time you listened to “Pocketful of Sunshine”? Go ahead, take a listen, and let it get stuck in your head — we can only hope Natasha Bedingfield will whip the song out when she plays a concert at the Fillmore on Sunday. While she may be known best for those 2000s-era hits, Bedingfield is currently on tour to promote her latest album, Roll with Me, which came out in August. The concert starts at 8 p.m., and tickets cost $35. 

And while you’re waiting for the encore to start, check out Maisy Menzies’ review of the series premiere for “Watchmen.” The HBO series has its roots in Alan Moore’s acclaimed graphic novel series, but it builds its own unique plot, one that’s optimized for the current social landscape. In Maisy’s words, in the show’s first episode, creator and showrunner Damon Lindelof “opens the door for a compelling and always twisting conversation about who the good, the bad and the vigilante are in this world.”

If you have any questions, concerns or anything else you’d like us to see (like pictures of your costume!), email us: [email protected]. We’d love to share in the Halloween spirit, just like this moose

Until next time. 

At a glance: 

Oct. 28: “Disability & Climate Resilience Panel,” Free, 6 p.m., 2040 Valley Life Sciences Building, UC Berkeley, Berkeley

Oct. 29: UC Berkeley Jazz Ensembles Fall Concert, $16-20, 8 p.m., Freight & Salvage, Berkeley 

Oct. 30: Mariinsky ballet and orchestra: “La Bayadère,” $25-175, 8 p.m., Zellerbach Hall, UC Berkeley, Berkeley

Oct. 31: “Creatures of the NightLife,” $19.75, 6 p.m., California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco; The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” $16.50-26.50, 8 p.m., UC Theatre, Berkeley

Nov. 1: Nondairy scoops for World Vegan Day, Free, 4 p.m., Ben & Jerry’s, multiple locations

Nov. 2: Bay Area Science Festival: Discovery Day, Free, 11 a.m., Oracle Park, San Francisco

Nov. 3: Natasha Bedingfield concert, $35, 8 p.m., the Fillmore, San Francisco

Subscribe to our Picks of the Weeks newsletter

Check out our arts & entertainment staff's weekly newsletter on local concerts, shows, cultural events and more.
  • Please let us know what types of events you'd like to learn more about, both in terms of type of art (e.g. concerts, art galleries, theater shows) and in terms of location (e.g. Berkeley, Oakland, San Francisco).