UC Berkeley classes to proceed as regular Tuesday

File/Michael Drummond
Michael Drummond/File

UC Berkeley classes and operations are proceeding as regularly scheduled Tuesday, according to a campuswide message sent Monday afternoon.

The message notes that PG&E has restored power to campus and that campus staff is currently working on converting campus power sources back to PG&E’s power lines. Because this process is expected to take multiple hours, the message advises people to continue avoiding campus until Tuesday morning, and says campus access will resume at regular business hours Tuesday.

Despite campus’ opening, the city is still anticipating power outages that last through Friday, due to PG&E’s Public Safety Power Shutoff. The current power outage has lasted since Saturday, which resulted in the campus canceling classes Monday.

“Campus leaders will continue to monitor the situation – which remains very fluid – and will keep our community informed,” the message said.

Following that, the campus sent another email declaring this week “Instructional Resilience Week,” with the aim of digitalizing course materials and planning for how to make course material accessible online.

This message points course instructors toward the Academic Innovation Studio, or AIS, which has been designated the Digital Teaching and Learning Headquarters. The AIS will be offering in-person and virtual support to instructors on how to digitalize course material. If the air quality index goes above 150, the message said the support team will move to 2850 Telegraph Ave.

The message acknowledges that not all course information can be digitalized, but that the campus is trying to test alternative methods for dispersing academic knowledge.

“With your help and cooperation, in a future emergency, rather than declaring that classes are cancelled, we could declare an alternative instruction day,” the second message said. “Such an emergency could occur at any time, even later this week. Let’s take steps now so that we can be prepared.”

Check back for updates.

Sakura Cannestra is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.