NCAA releases statement on student-athlete name, image and likeness

Sam Albillo/File

The NCAA Board of Governors released a statement directing all NCAA divisions to begin drafting new rules and bylaws regarding student-athletes benefiting “from the use of their name, image and likeness consistent with the collegiate model.”

The extent of these changes and the benefits they will entail is unclear thus far. The NCAA did not explicitly state in its press release whether or not name, image and likeness rights could be used for profit or compensation. 

The organization did make it clear that it intends to remain committed to maintaining the status of student-athletes as students first and protect equal treatment of student-athletes.

State Sen. Nancy Skinner, D-Berkeley, co-authored SB 206, also known as the Fair Pay to Play Act, which brought the issue of student-athlete compensation into the national spotlight. Skinner released a statement today praising the California state government’s support of SB 206, stating that “SB 206 clearly pushed the NCAA to take this step.” She also praised the NCAA’s actions, adding that its statement “shows promise.” 

Skinner, however, also maintained that there is more to be done.

“The devil will be in the details,” Skinner said in the press release. “Here in California, we are clear that we won’t accept arbitrary limitations and look forward to the NCAA’s final action being consistent with the right all other students have to generate income from their talent and skills.”

Jasper Sundeen is an assistant sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].