Spooky games to get you in the mood for Halloween

Pxhere/Creative Commons

Halloween is a time of parties, friends and spooks. People dress up in costumes, get together with their friends to have fun and get in the spirit of the holiday. The most stereotypical way to make it feel like Halloween is to watch a horror movie. There are plenty of other ways to get into the Halloween spirit, however. A good way is to play some horror or spooky-themed games with your friends. Here are some tabletop and role-playing games you can play with your friends to get you guys in the mood for this spooky holiday. 

Dread

This horror role-playing game doesn’t use complicated math or long character sheets. Instead, your actions are determined by a pull from a Jenga tower. If the tower falls, the game is over for you. If it doesn’t, your character is successful and they’ll continue on in the horror story that’s unfolding. It’s a game that works quite well if you want to experience the horror of the situation that your character’s in. 

One Night Ultimate Werewolf

This is a great game for a large group of people. In this game, it’s up to the players to figure out who among them is secretly a werewolf using their own secret traits and deception. It’s up to the werewolves to hide among the people and sow enough chaos so that by the end of the game, not enough players think that they’re the werewolves. Quick rounds make this a good party game for people to step in and out of, while the atmosphere is definitely spooky.

Betrayal at House on the Hill

In this game, you and others investigate an old mansion that’s generated as you explore it. At a certain point, the true horror, which is selected from a book of multiple monsters and threats, is revealed and it’s up to you to survive. If you want the experience of going through a haunted house with your friends, this game might be the closest you can get in the board game form.

Ten Candles

Ten Candles is a role-playing game that just oozes atmosphere and requires almost no preparation. All you need are some six-sided dice (10 to be exact), 10 candles, some notecards and a vague idea of what you want the story to be. As the game progresses, the candles which are giving you light are put out one by one until there are no more candles left in the final scene. After each candle goes out, everyone comes up with new truths about the horrific story everyone’s characters are going through, resulting in a collaborative horror experience.

Any one of these games should get you in the Halloween spirit. It can be a lot of fun to play games with your friends, so why not give it a try? Happy Halloween!

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .