Water From Your Eyes’ dynamic album ‘Somebody Else’s Song’ surprises

Exploding in Sound Records/Courtesy

In the Brooklyn-based duo Water From Your Eyes’ latest album, Somebody Else’s Song, the members continue to develop their post-punk sound. None of the tracks on the album sound exactly like any of the others, even the songs that are in direct dialogue with each other. 

The first song on the album, the title track “Somebody Else’s Song” is undeniably sweet. With a tranquil guitar riff embellished with whisperlike lyrics, it gives off the feeling of hushed, innocently whispered secrets.

“Break,” the second track off of the album, is very different from the first. It develops more of a dance beat, and is in direct contrast to “Somebody Else’s Song.” The track builds on itself with the layering of various instrumentations, which keeps it from becoming monotonous. The song allows for some surprises in the composition of the music and some unexpected transitions to unfold to the delight of the listener, ensuring that they remain engaged. 

“No Better Now” is a more predictable song, but still very enjoyable. It plays in direct contrast to the lyrics that Rachel Brown sings over Nate Amos’ guitar, creating a full-bodied track.  It is the perfect end-of-summer song, exuding a sense of bittersweetness. 

“Adeleine,” meanwhile, is a more mature track, capturing the duo’s ability to build upon its previous work and perfect it. The song is much catchier than the other songs on the album. As Brown describes Adeleine, an enigmatic figure that is built up throughout the track, the instrumentals back up this sense of obscurity and unknowing, as the mysterious background remains engaging for the entirety of the song. There seems to be an almost surf-inspired guitar work throughout the track, as synths work both in contrast to and in dialogue with the more natural sounds. The climax of the song comes, perhaps, when Brown goes into a higher pitch and simply sings — the synths then start to take over and have a louder conversation with the guitar.

“This is Slow” is a return to the sweetness of the start of the album and describes the awkwardness of initially falling in love. Accompanied only by a guitar and a beat, Brown’s voice sounds properly naive to convey the themes of the song.

“Bad in the Sun” is in direct contrast with “This is Slow,” creating a sudden shift after a song that was so simplistic and innocent in nature to one that would not seem out of place in a hipster dance club. This is not a boring dance track — it maintains a heavy beat, but also comes in with other fun synth sounds and a guitar riff that allows for some fun.  This song is a reimagination of “Somebody Else’s Song,” using the same lyrics with the addition of a couple of lines. That said, it is an almost completely different song than the somewhat sparse title track. This song is perhaps the best on the album when it comes to composition, as it uses elements that are on display on all the other songs on the album and synthesizes them.

The album ends with the short little vignette of a song, “Look Again.” The song comes off as  haunting, as it is minimal — Brown’s voice is manipulated to sound like a siren and rings out eerily on this track.  

Overall, Somebody Else’s Song is very dynamic and puts the continuous development and experimentation of Water From Your Eyes’ sound on full display. While some songs are more engaging and sonically vibrant than others, the duo’s ability to move from genre to genre throughout the album makes it a musical act to watch out for.

Zoë Cramer covers music. Contact her at [email protected].