Alameda County Superior Court announces Strategic Plan for 2020-2029

Kimberly Veklerov/File

The Alameda County Superior Court announced its Strategic Plan for 2020-2029 on Monday.

The plan will focus on improving the County Court’s infrastructure, making services more accessible to individuals and promoting training for its employees. Implementation of the Strategic Plan, recommended unanimously by the Alameda County Court’s Executive Committee and adopted by presiding Judge Wynne Carvill, will begin in January 2020.

The six main areas of the plan are internal investment, technology and modernization, self-help services, jury service, security and facilities, and communication and partnership. According to the plan, its aim is to provide equal access to the resources and services of the court and ensure that justice is accessible to all individuals.

Development of the plan began when Carvill appointed a strategic planning committee 10 months ago, which consisted of eight judges and was chaired by assistant presiding Judge Tara Desautels. According to Court Executive Officer Chad Finke, the committee conducted multiple surveys and held staff meetings in its efforts to engage with the community and develop an effective plan.

“The plan was developed based on input from many, many internal and external stakeholders, all of which offered their insight and input as to what the Court’s Strategic Goals should be,” Finke said in an email. “We appreciate the level of interest that we’ve received from all of our stakeholders, and we’re excited to begin implementing the plan.”

Implementation of the Strategic Plan, which will remain in effect until the end of 2029, will be overseen by the presiding judge, assistant presiding judge, court executive officer and assistant executive officer. According to the plan’s text, judicial committees will establish annual agendas related to the plan and report the progress and any major achievements.

One key element of the plan’s implementation is its transparency and engagement with the public. The court will release periodic announcements of the plan’s progress, according to a press release, which will be a part of the plan’s principle of improving communication between the court and its stakeholders.

Finke added that the overarching aim of the plan is to allow the court to carry out its mission and duty to the county’s constituents.

“The Strategic Plan outlines the means by which the Court intends to fulfill its fundamental mission, which is to provide access to justice for all in a fair, accessible, effective, and efficient manner,” Finke said in an email.

Along with the adoption of the Superior Court’s Strategic Plan, another notable change to county infrastructure is the development of the Alameda County Information Technology Strategic Plan This plan, according to the information technology department, will utilize the growing investment in technology to improve the quality and availability of services that county agencies can offer.

Contact Aditya Katewa at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @adkatewa1.