Cut it out! Ways to recycle your pumpkin after Halloween

Flickr/Creative Commons

Happy Halloween to our favorite Golden Bears! Spooky season is finally here, which calls for lots and lots of pumpkins and sweet goodies. But as soon as Nov. 1 approaches, we’ll begin to see the spooky decorative pumpkins in dumpsters crushed and shattered to pieces. Don’t let that be your pumpkin!

You can instead recycle your pumpkin by making pumpkin soup or toasted pumpkin seeds. Here are some quick and easy ways to turn your Halloween pumpkins into something delicious! 

Roasted pumpkin seeds 

This has to be one of the easiest ways that you can recycle your pumpkin. Wash the pumpkin seeds and toss them in olive oil and salt. Spread them onto a baking pan and bake them for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. You can toss your roasted pumpkin seeds in your favorite granola, yogurt or you can even eat them as a midday snack! 

Pumpkin puree 

Pumpkin puree is the base of many popular pumpkin recipes. Cut your pumpkin in half or into small pieces, sprinkle it with some salt and roast it in the oven for about 30-45 minutes (or until you’re able to scoop the flesh with a spoon) at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow it to cool for about an hour and then place it in a food processor and blend until smooth. You can use the pumpkin puree to make pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup and even pumpkin lasagna!

Pumpkin fries

Fries are one of my guilty pleasures. Remove the skin of the pumpkin and slice the skinned pieces into fry-sized pieces (about ¼ inch wide). Coat the fries in cornstarch, olive oil and garlic powder. Toss them into the oven for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, and then sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese and salt onto them. Bake them for about five more minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Allow them to cool for about 10-15 minutes before you devour them!

If all else fails, you can always compost your pumpkin instead of tossing it into the dumpster! It’s a great addition to the soil in your garden and a perfect treat for the worms. We at the Clog hope you enjoyed these ideas on how to reuse your pumpkin after the Halloween season!

Happy Halloween!

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].