4 movies to watch in honor of Veterans Day

Warner Brothers/Courtesy

Veterans Day is dedicated to the brave people who risked their lives to serve the country. Hollywood has always done a fantastic job of enamoring the military, with numerous films depicting our veterans at home and abroad. These movies make us laugh and cry, and they help us empathize with these brave veterans. Here are some of the best movies in honor of Veterans Day!

“Saving Private Ryan”

One of the most iconic war movies of all time, “Saving Private Ryan” is a must-watch for Veterans Day. It takes place during World War II, when Captain John Miller (Tom Hanks) takes his men behind enemy lines to find Private James Ryan, whose three brothers have been killed in combat. This highly acclaimed film won director Steven Spielberg the Best Director category and four more awards at the Academy Awards. In short, you should definitely watch this movie in honor of Veterans Day.

“Forrest Gump”

“Forrest Gump” is one of those movies that you probably watched in your high school history class. Taking place from the 1950s to the 1980s, it follows the life of Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks). From the Vietnam War to the Black Panther Party, this movie incorporates a lot of historical context into its plot, which explains why many history teachers like to show this movie in class. Hanks won an Oscar for Best Actor, while director Robert Zemeckis won Best Director.

“Good Morning, Vietnam”

The movie follows Adrian Cronauer (Robin Williams), a radio DJ on the U.S. Armed Forces radio station in Vietnam. His unorthodox method of hosting the radio station helps him gain immense popularity with the troops abroad. Cronauer chooses to be honest and blunt to his military audience about war, even when his supervisors warn him not to, and he constantly struggles to get back on the air. 

“American Sniper”

This Oscar-nominated film is based on the life of U.S Navy SEAL Chris Kyle (Bradley Cooper), the deadliest marksman in U.S. military history. The movie focuses on how his military duty takes a heavy toll on his personal life; it captures the struggles of soldiers in Iraq and back home, as well as the sacrifices of their families. This movie helps us really appreciate the hardships of members of the military, making it a great movie to watch in honor of Veterans Day.

These are just a few movies that you can watch to honor Veterans Day. These movies make us feel the complex emotions of gratitude, sadness and respect for the veterans who gave up so much to risk their lives and protect the U.S. Let’s take some time to thank them for their service.

Contact Christina Kim at [email protected].