Berkeley to participate in United Against Hate Week starting Nov. 17

Aura Barrera/Staff

The city of Berkeley will participate in United Against Hate Week from Nov. 17-23, which aims to promote unity and stop hate and implicit biases, according to United Against Hate Week’s website.

United Against Hate Week began in 2017 after the neo-Nazi events in Charlottesville, Va. When a similar protest took place in Berkeley, according to Jacquelyn McCormick — one of the organizers of the week and Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín’s chief of staff — she and other civic leaders in Berkeley felt the need to respond.

It was then that McCormick and other activists came up with the idea to create and hand out posters, McCormick said. Some posters said “Berkeley Stands Against Hate.” According to McCormick, the sign resonated with the community and other cities, including Oakland, soon had signs of their own.

“By the time the protesters came, 16 cities had ordered the signs,” McCormick said. 

In 2017, according to McCormick, 2,000 posters were handed out in Berkeley and Oakland.

During the week there will be myriad events in and across the Bay Area, such as Community Conversation on Dealing with Homeless Prevention and Impacts of Mass Incarceration on Nov. 9 at the David Brower Center, as well as Game Night Against Hate on Nov. 21 at Games of Berkeley

According to McCormick, the organizers aim to increase the number of events in each community in the coming years.

The week hopes to “bring the community together and build the infrastructure in a city to prevent hate” and to build inclusive communities McCormick said.

McCormick added that United Against Hate Week is not only for civic leaders or entire cities.

“This can drill down to the neighborhood. … have a potluck. It is those kinds of things we want to do,” McCormick said.  

Contact Robson Swift at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @swift_robson.