Satisfy your sweet tooth: Best dessert places in Berkeley

Lianne Frick/File

Berkeley is brimming with tons of sugary shops for you to satisfy all of your sweet tooth cravings. The sheer number of such places is quite intimidating and it can be difficult to determine which are actually worth visiting. To make the decision a little sweeter for you, here are some places that will fulfill every single one of your sugary desires.

Waffles — Little Gem Belgian Waffles

One bite of a waffle from Little Gem is all you need, and youll never return to the Eggo waffles in your freezer. Little Gem offers a selection of its own signature creations, but you can also make a completely customized version. The waffles are made fresh and served up nice and warm. If you really want to treat yourself after a tough day, add a scoop of ice cream for the perfect combination of hot and cold.

Cinnamon buns – Cinnaholic Bakery

Featured on Shark Tank, Cinnaholic opened its first location in Berkeley before eventually expanding across the United States and into Canada. With more than 20 frosting flavors and a variety of toppings to choose from, Cinnaholic’s cinnamon buns transcend traditional waffles by allowing you to make your very own creation. Did we forget to mention that they’re 100% plant-based too?

Doughnuts – King Pin Donuts

Since 1939, King Pin Donuts has offered timeless taste with each of its doughnuts. Whether you find yourself studying or partying all night, it’s open until 3:00 a.m. — so you can always rely on King Pin for your sugar fix. If you’re lucky, you might just arrive when their doughnut holes are fresh out of the oven and still warm.

Boba – Feng Cha Teahouse

Although boba faces strong competition in Berkeley, Feng Cha, a new option to the scene, has been able to distinguish itself from the rest. Its drink variations are quite different from what you’ll find at other shops. The dirty boba is its signature drink and the perfect choice for those wanting something sweet without being too obvious about it.

Ice cream– Tara’s Organic Ice Cream

I scream, you scream, we all scream for Tara’s Organic Ice Cream! With no added emulsifiers or stabilizers to its mixes, you can really taste the difference. And if that isn’t enough of a reason for you to grab a scoop, Tara’s currently makes 175 sophisticated flavor variations, which include options such as oregano orange pepper and goat cheese raspberry.

Frozen yogurt – Yogurt Park

Not quite ice cream and definitely not your typical breakfast staple, frozen yogurt is an entirely different food category. When you’re craving it, a basic pint of ice cream certainly won’t do. Yogurt Park continues to remain a Berkeley staple for your frozen yogurt needs since 1977. Its cup sizes are generous and it even offers fat-free options to reduce the guilt of your indulgence.  

Mochi doughnuts – Third Culture Bakery

Despite not yet being a mainstream dessert, mochi doughnuts are a delectable twist on your traditional interpretation of the doughnut. They’re light and chewy in the best way possible. If you feel like trying something different from your typical go-to sugary options, head to Third Culture Bakery for a plethora of original flavors ranging from chocolate to ube. If you don’t want to make the journey out to Fourth Street, you can also check out the 1951 Coffee Company, which is supplied with mochi doughnuts and muffins from Third Culture Bakery.

Sometimes when life gets tough, you just need to give in a little to your cravings. We hope that you find this list helpful the next time your sweet tooth acts up!

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .