Editors’ Note: Nov. 8

weekender logo
Hannah Cooper/Senior Staff

In light of recent wildfires and planned power outages, climate strikes and activism, the conversations about the environment and the potential need for a drastic change in policy seem to have exploded in recent months. But regardless of these trends, Earth days or strikes, our environment and how we interact with it is always of relevance: When we are writing of environmental issues, we are really writing about our home. For this week’s issue, Weekender writers elected to investigate and reflect on a variety of topics in relation to our natural world.

Staff writer Aliya Haas Blinman highlighted the positive news regarding the environment in her commentary featuring current and historical examples of the resilience of the environment and the resistance of the activists who wish to preserve it. Inspired by the artwork of 17th-century artist Maria Sibylla Merian, staff writer Hannah Johansson wrote an imagery-rich poem, paired with a brief summation of Merian’s life.

Staff writer Erin Haar, reflecting on the fires that ravage the California landscape each year, delved into the complex origins of inequality and idealism that are intertwined in the state’s history and have implications for the future of fire season. In a commentary, senior staff writer Kaitlyn Hodge explained the ways in which the environmental movement fails to uplift marginalized voices, even though those voices are the most impacted by environmental injustice.

Some staff writers applied this prompt locally. Inspired by the Student Organic Garden on the Oxford Tract, staff writer Ashley Soliman delved into the world of community gardens at UC Berkeley. After attending the event titled “A Case for Climate and Sex Symposium” held in Oakland, staff writer Layla Chamberlin wrote about her experience there and interviewed various people involved.

This week, it is our hope that our work spurs you into action.

Get “The Weekender” in your inbox!

Creative writing, deep dives, cultural commentaries and art delivered every Saturday.

Contact the Weekender at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dcweekender.