Veterans Day weekend: A to-do list for the bored in Berkeley

Cheyenne Tex/Staff

If you’re experiencing midsemester boredom, but don’t want to travel too far this weekend, you’re in luck! Here’s a list of a few fun activities you can do this Veterans Day weekend, right here in Bezerkeley. 

Check out the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive  

You’ve probably passed the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive a million times while walking through Downtown Berkeley, but now you have time to actually go inside. The museum is free for students, just make sure to have your Cal ID, so you don’t have to pay a dime. You will have access to all the exhibits like “Strange” or “The San Quentin Project: Nigel Poor and the Men of San Quentin State Prison.” You don’t have to follow a specific time frame, so pop in for a few minutes or hours — it’s all up to you! Now go check out some fantastic art this weekend!

Have a picnic at Tilden Regional Park.

If you’re looking for a fun activity to do with a group but can’t go too far, have a picnic in Tilden Regional Park! This beautiful location is only a short walk from UC Berkeley’s North Gate. You’ll feel at peace in the luscious trees but can quickly come back to campus. It’s the perfect place for a group trip that feels far away, without even having to leave the city. So grab your favorite outdoor blanket, a couple of friends and be on your way. 

Hike the Berkeley Fire Trails.

Looking to go on a nearby hike this weekend? Check out the Berkeley Fire Trails! Located behind Clark Kerr Campus, this high-impact trail will lead you to some of the Bay’s most stunning views. Be warned, the incline is pretty steep, and the trail starts by walking up a series of stairs, but despite this, it’s so worth it. Plus, you get an insane workout out of it! You can also enjoy Berkeley’s amazing sunsets from the best view in the city. Don’t forget to bring some water and your favorite sneakers.

Ride scooters around the Berkeley Marina.

One of the best spots in town is the Berkeley Marina. You can get in a little water fix without having to drive to Ocean Beach or San Francisco. Instead, just hop on a motor scooter and have a blast. I know this sounds a bit odd, but scootering to the marina with friends is one of the most fun activities I’ve done in this college town. So get a little creative and seize the day! 

Rent paddleboats at Lake Merritt in Oakland. 

If you want to do something a little different and don’t mind a short drive, try paddleboating in Oakland. The charming Lake Merritt is home to adorable parks, aesthetic coffee shops and paddleboating. You can have a fun afternoon on the sunny lake and do a bit of studying at a cute coffee shop after. Plus, it’s all just a 10-minute drive away. So grab your friend with a car and have a delightful afternoon.

Say you’re going off the grid and hibernate for three days.

Sometimes we just need to fix our sleep deprivation and go off the grid for a few days. This is the perfect weekend to unplug and unwind. Pretend you’re out of town and just hibernate in your apartment. You’ll come back to the grind rested and ready to rejoin humanity. Now go turn off your phone and enjoy the silent bliss. 

Well, there you have it! You can cure your boredom this weekend without even leaving town. Just enjoy the sun and ignore your responsibilities. 

Contact Summer Kailani at [email protected].