For the love of chocolate: 4 ways to spice up your hot chocolate

pixabay/Creative Commons

Winter’s coming and there’s no better way to celebrate than to warm up with your favorite hot chocolate! While regular hot cocoa is a classic, here are four ways to spice up your typical hot chocolate for holiday season.

Peppermint hot chocolate

Servings: 1 

Ingredients:

1 hot cocoa mix 

Peppermint extract 

Peppermint candy or candy cane for garnish

Whipped cream (canned or homemade) 

Instructions: Prepare your hot cocoa mix in a mug according to the directions on the package using milk or water. Stir in 2-4 drops of peppermint extract. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of crushed peppermint candy. 

Salted caramel hot chocolate

Servings: 1 

Ingredients:

1 hot cocoa mix 

½ cup of caramel sauce

Whipped cream (canned or homemade) 

Salt (preferably flaky) for garnish

Instructions: Prepare your hot cocoa mix in a mug according to the directions on the package using milk or water. Add ½ cup of caramel sauce to your hot chocolate and stir until it’s well combined. Top with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce. 

Vanilla hot chocolate

Servings:1

Ingredients 

1 hot cocoa mix 

Vanilla extract 

Whipped cream (canned or homemade) 

Instructions: Prepare your hot cocoa mix in a mug according to the directions on the package using milk or water. Stir in your vanilla extract and top with whipped cream.

Cinnamon hot chocolate

Servings: 1 

Ingredients: 

1 hot chocolate mix 

Ground cinnamon 

Ground nutmeg 

Whipped cream (canned or homemade) 

Instructions: Prepare your hot cocoa mix in a mug according to the directions on the package using milk or water. Add a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg to your mug and give it a good stir to ensure that the ingredients are well combined. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. 

Whatever recipe you choose, we hope you enjoy these cozy drinks as you get into the holiday spirit!

Contact Jackie Amendola at [email protected].