I scream, you scream: National Ice Cream Sundae Day

Matt Gibson/Staff

If you ask me, every day should be considered National Ice Cream Sundae Day. It’s probably better for our health, however, that this day is only recognized Nov. 11. In honor of this holiday, we at the Clog have compiled a list of our favorite places near campus to get an ice cream sundae.

CREAM

Although they’re more widely known for their custom ice cream sandwiches, CREAM also offers many options for an excellent ice cream sundae. You’ll be able to choose an ice cream flavor, up to two toppings and a cookie or brownie. They also have gluten-free and vegan options to accommodate for all dietary restrictions.

Gadani

For a less traditional ice cream sundae head to Gadani in Downtown Berkeley. Its ice cream sundaes are served in an egg puff waffle, garnished with your choice of two toppings and are most definitely photo-worthy — not to mention delicious!

Tara’s Organic Ice Cream

Tara’s Organic Ice Cream often lies under the radar, but for no good reason because its unique and vibrant flavors really make an impression on the consumer. Its menu features every flavor from avocado to Yerba Mate, as well as gluten-free and vegan options. The many unique toppings are sure to leave you feeling like you got your ice cream sundae fix.

Uji Time Dessert

For another nontraditional sundae, head to Uji Time on Telegraph Avenue. Their soft cream is served in a taiyaki cone (a fish-shaped cake cone) and comes with a choice of two toppings. Flavor options may be limited to matcha, black sesame and tofu — but it’s sure to satisfy. As an added bonus, Uji Time has plenty of seating and board games available to play, making for a highly enjoyable experience!

Fentons Creamery

For the ultimate old-fashioned ice-cream parlor experience, head over to Fentons in Oakland. Fentons is known to some as the ice cream store featured at the end of the Pixar film “Up,” and to others as the birthplace of Rocky Road ice cream. Sundaes run a little on the pricey side, but the portion sizes are sure to make up for it. The banana split and the black and tan are go-tos for many regulars and come in junior sizes if you don’t feel up to the challenge of eating the full thing.

Make it yourself!

As fun as it is to celebrate at an ice cream shop, making your own ice cream sundae is probably a more cost-effective option and allows you to customize your proportions of ice cream and toppings. Since going to the grocery store and buying all the components will probably leave you with more than you can eat on your own (or not), you can either share with friends or have some left over for later. 

With so many amazing options of places to get your ice cream sundae fix near campus, it might be difficult to narrow it down to just one. National Ice Cream Sundae Day may only be one day, but this doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy ice cream sundaes all the time!

Contact Beatrice Aronson at [email protected].