Simple yet yummy coconut laddoo recipe

My favorite time of the year is Diwali season! We celebrate this traditional Hindu festival with much show and pomp back home. An integral part of the festivity is making and distributing sweets and savory snacks with family and friends! This year was my first Diwali away from home. I really missed making delicious coconut laddoos, little spherical sweets, with my mother. I love these laddoos so much that I cannot stop myself from indulging in a few even while making them (much to my mother’s annoyance who always felt we wouldn’t have enough left to give the neighbors). This simple yet heavenly sweet requires just two main ingredients, making it the perfect treat for any occasion. And I’m not exaggerating when I say that my mouth’s already watering as I’m writing this recipe!

Ingredients

¼ cup of condensed milk

1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut or freshly grated coconut (and a little extra for coating)

Roasted nuts (optional)

Cardamom powder (optional)

Instructions

Heat the condensed milk in a pan over medium heat. Once the condensed milk becomes slightly dilute, it’s time to add the coconut. Next, stir continuously until the condensed milk and coconut just begin to clump. Now’s the time to add a few roasted nuts and a pinch of cardamom if you want! Keep stirring until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and appears as a single mass. Let the mixture cool for about five minutes or until you’re able to hold it in your palm. Here comes the fun part! Once cooled, shape the mixture into spheres with a diameter of about 2 inches. Finally, roll your laddoo over some shredded coconut to coat the outside.

There you have it — so easy yet so tasty! Now, it’s time for you to buy some coconut and condensed milk and make this delectable treat!

Contact Nandita Radhakrishnan at [email protected].