Student deals on live performances around the Bay Area

Rachael Garner/File

When most college students think about a night out, they think of hitting up the hottest parties in Berkeley. UC Berkeley’s campus is, however, situated in a hotbed of performing arts venues, most of which offer relatively inexpensive tickets to students. We at the Clog have compiled a list of some of these deals, so you can easily take advantage of all the opportunities this area has to offer!

Cal Performances

Starting on our very own campus, Cal Performances consistently stages shows in Zellerbach Hall by world-renowned music, dance and other performance groups. UC Berkeley students are offered a 50% discount on all tickets, a student flex pass giving them four shows for $60 and rush tickets for as low as $10 that can be purchased three hours before the show. These deals are too amazing to pass up!

Berkeley Repertory Theatre

Moving a little further away from campus, the Berkeley Repertory Theatre in Downtown Berkeley stages everything from comedies to dramas to musicals. Its eclectic collection of work aims to entertain, challenge and inspire its audience. Students get a $10 discount on rush tickets in specific sections one hour before shows. Additionally, a half-price discount is offered to people under 35 years old on advance tickets to most shows.

American Conservatory Theater

San Francisco’s premier nonprofit theater company offers rush tickets and discounts on season subscriptions for full-time students and people under 30 years old. Discounted rush tickets can be purchased 90 minutes before curtain or on the TodayTix app for $25 beginning 9 a.m. the day of the performance. This theater stages a variety of shows each year, concluding this year with Charles Dickens’ “A Christmas Carol.” Its shows are staged at either the Strand or Geary theaters, located near San Francisco’s Civic Center and Union Square, respectively. This means that seeing a show at there makes for a perfect excuse to spend the day in San Francisco!

San Francisco Symphony

With a simple online registration, the San Francisco Symphony offers some of the best seats in the house to students each week for just $20. Even if classical music isn’t your thing, the symphony’s film series brings Hollywood classics to Davies Symphony Hall. In the next couple months, the symphony is playing along to “Ghostbusters,” “It’s a Wonderful Life” and “Love Actually.” This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see already amazing films elevated by the unparalleled energy of a full, live orchestra.

San Francisco Ballet

One of the world’s premier ballet companies, the San Francisco Ballet offers same-day rush tickets to full-time college students for as low as $24 for select performances and standing room tickets for just $15 or $20. Its season runs from January to May and includes something for everyone, even if you’ve never seen a ballet performance before.

This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of opportunities students have to see discounted shows around the Bay Area. So next time you and your friends are looking for something fun and different to do, consider checking out one of these options or research other discounts — many venues are sure to offer them!

Contact Beatrice Aronson at [email protected].