City of Berkeley prepares for possible Wednesday power outage

PG&E/Courtesy

Updated 11/18/2019: This article has been updated to reflect new information from a UC Berkeley press release.

Parts of Berkeley may experience a PG&E Public Safety Power Shutoff starting early Wednesday morning, according to a tweet from the city of Berkeley.

The tweet, posted about 11 a.m. Monday morning, only said the city is monitoring the situation. About 12,200 PG&E customers in Alameda County may be affected by the possible outage, according to a press release from PG&E sent Monday. The release added that PG&E began sending out 48-hour advance notices to the 22 counties that would be impacted.

The press release said Wednesday morning will bring risky fire conditions, which are expected to continue through Thursday when PG&E will inspect energy lines to confirm that they were not damaged.

Because of the possibility of an outage, UC Berkeley encourages instructors to make alternate arrangements, according to a campuswide email sent by the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost. The email added that the Academic Senate, ASUC, Graduate Assembly and administration are currently in the process of establishing a “joint instructional resilience task force.”

The task force will assess the steps that can be taken by instructors and the campus to better manage power shutoffs and related events, according to the email.

Sakura Cannestra is the managing editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @SakuCannestra.