BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

'Red flag' warning issued for Alameda County on Wednesday, Thursday

NICHOLE WHITE | FILE

NOVEMBER 18, 2019

The National Weather Service issued a “red flag” warning for Alameda County that is expected to last from 4 a.m. Wednesday until 7 p.m. Thursday because of high winds and dry conditions, according to an AC Alert.

The East Bay Hills have been identified as an area of concern, as offshore winds are expected to develop in higher elevations of the North Bay and East Bay starting Tuesday night, the alert said. The winds combined with lower humidity levels will cause “critical fire weather conditions,” the alert said.

PG&E has also warned of a potential Public Safety Power Shutoff, or PSPS, beginning Wednesday morning, which may affect around 12,200 customers in Alameda County, according to a PG&E press release.

UC Berkeley instructors have been advised to make alternate arrangements for classes in preparation for the PSPS, according to a campuswide email sent by the UC Berkeley office of the executive vice chancellor and provost.

Contact Amanda Bradford at 

NOVEMBER 18, 2019