Wednesday classes tentative in midst of PG&E power outage

Jessica Gleason /File

Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Paul Alivisatos and Vice Chancellor of Administration Marc Fisher sent a campus-wide email Tuesday morning warning that there is a “high likelihood” that tomorrow’s PG&E power outage will affect the UC Berkeley campus.

The power outage is expected to begin Wednesday morning and last until Thursday morning, according to the email. Campus officials will not announce if classes are canceled until there is more certainty on the effects of the power outage — despite this, however, the campus community should expect a decision concerning Wednesday’s operations announced by 5 p.m. today.

If campus is impacted by the power outage, protocol from previous power outages will be followed. Campus will transition to power-saving mode and reduce campus operations, according to the email. Life safety, power to residence halls and research will be prioritized if campus is affected by the outage.

Campus officials plan to keep Moffit Library open for operation and other off-campus locations will have power and be open for regular operation.

Instructors are “strongly encouraged” to make a plan for alternate means of class instruction, according to the email.

Check back for updates.

Julie Madsen is an assistant news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @Julie_Madsen_.