Bears, it’s chilly outside: How to make your fall wardrobe cooler

Richard Chen/Staff

As Berkeley’s weather starts to get colder and finals week approaches, fashion may be the last thing occupying your mind. But it doesn’t have to be that way! You can still stay comfy and warm without sacrificing your style choices this fall. Here are some easy ways to spice up your fashion.

A simple pair of sneakers

Owning a pair of sneakers is an essential part of any outfit that will make your ensemble pop. This might seem counterintuitive, but basic sneakers don’t detract from any outfit you wear. They will actually help in highlighting your overall look! A small decision such as choosing which shoes to wear can really make all the difference when it comes to finishing off your outfit. You can always count on classic staples, such as Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars and Adidas Stan Smiths, which pair nicely with any style while simultaneously providing comfort.

Gold or silver jewelry

When you’re wearing sweats, adding a subtle necklace, ring or pair of earrings will really elevate your look without doing much at all. We’ll let your stylistic preferences determine the winner of the age-old battle between gold and silver jewelry. Jewelry may seem like an expensive investment to make, but there are tons of brands that offer affordable alternatives within a college student’s budget.

Neutral color palette

If you’re unsure about what color suits you best, there’s no need to fret. A basic neutral color palette is your best friend when it comes to finding clothing that will match nicely with the rest of your closet. These colors include black, gray, white, navy, brown and khaki, which we’re willing to bet you already own. Not only are neutral colors very flattering, but they also flatter most colors that you choose to pair them with. With a neutral color scheme, you can create a sophisticated and stylish look in a matter of seconds.

Jacket

With the weather becoming chillier, now is the perfect time to bring out your favorite jacket. Owning a sturdy, yet fashionable jacket makes putting together an outfit all the more simple. Your jacket will become a wardrobe staple between the cold California months of November through February. Winter fashion might conjure up an image of covering your body in layer after layer. If you have a sturdy jacket that keeps you warm, you don’t have to blanket yourself every time you leave the house. Feel free to wear whatever top you want underneath and you’ll still remain warm.

Haircut

While technically not a piece of clothing that you can wear, a haircut can make all the difference in taking your style to the next level. The warmer months have been stereotyped as the best times to get a haircut because of the excessive heat. Winter is just as good a time to change up your look, however. Usher in the holiday season with a new hairdo that’ll serve as the perfect way to say goodbye to the fall semester and your hair’s dead ends.

The end of the semester is a time that encourages procrastination, with finals approaching, assignments piling up and the imminent winter break. With a lot on your mind, we hope that these style additions will ease the difficulty of keeping your style in check. After all, dressing to impress could do wonders for your mood, which could indirectly help you during your finals!

Contact Erika Lee at [email protected] .