Berkeley named 1 of top 5 kid-friendly fishing cities on West Coast

Kristen Tamsil/Staff

Berkeley Marina has been named one of the top kid-friendly fishing locations on the West Coast, according to a recent ranking by FishingBooker.

FishingBooker’s list ranked kid-friendly fishing locations based on user reviews. More than 96% of the company’s customers cited Berkeley as an “appropriate” location for children, according to FishingBooker spokesperson Allison Arthurs. The ranking also highlighted Berkeley’s cultural significance, which can further enrich a child’s experience.

“(Kid-friendly) means that the captain was patient with the kids on board, there’s a lot of action, guaranteeing that children won’t get bored on the boat, and that the overall conditions in terms of water and weather were safe and appropriate for an outing with kids,” Arthurs said in an email.

Quang Vo, owner of Goldeneye 2000 Sportfishing, has been running his Berkeley business for about 40 years. He said he is not surprised at all that Berkeley was ranked as one of the best kid-friendly fishing areas. According to Vo, Berkeley is a good location for fishing because of the citys central location in the Bay Area.

Bill Clapp, of Bills Sportfishing and Guide Service and captain of Jilly Sea, was surprised that Berkeley was ranked so high as a kid-friendly location. He said that while the Berkeley Marina is a good fishing location, he thinks it is poorly maintained.

In his 15 years working out of his business’s current location, Clapp said in previous years, overfishing has been a problem. When salmon season ended, fishers competed for the halibut population. Clapp believes, however, that fish populations are back to healthy levels.

Arthurs said the majority of people who fish in Berkeley are California residents, but the company has had tourists from Texas, Illinois and Florida book trips through its service.

“The convenient location means Berkeley fishing charters have their work cut out for them. Not only are the bay waters readily accessible, but some top-notch freshwater fisheries stand mere miles from the city center,” Arthurs said in a press release.

Contact Kaleo Mark at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @kaleomark_dc.