Where even is Palo Alto? Reasons why Berkeley is a better city than Palo Alto

Brianna Luna/File

It’s that time of the year again when we all come together to share our hatred toward our rivalry school, Stanford University. It’s already known that UC Berkeley is way better than Stanford in every possible way. Do you see Stanford with a 307-foot tall bell tower? I don’t think so. Do you see Stanford connected to every major city in the Bay Area by BART? Most definitely not. Do you see people at Stanford discovering periodic elements? They wish! Not only is UC Berkeley a more astonishing school than Stanford is, but it’s also located in a city that isn’t in the middle of nowhere, like, where even is “Palo Alto” on a map? Here are just four reasons why Berkeley is WAY better than Palo Alto. Of course, there are way more than just four reasons, but we didn’t have the time to write an endless article. 

Surrounded by major cities 

Berkeley is only about 10-15 minutes away from Oakland and about 20 minutes away from San Francisco. These are probably two of the Bay Area’s major cities, and Berkeley is just a short bus, car and BART trip away. We can’t say the same for Palo Alto. This gives Berkeley a more lively touch, as there is so much to experience in Oakland and San Francisco from delicious restaurants to their tourist attractions, such as Pier 39 and Union Square.      

BART 

The nearest BART station to Berkeley is literally outside of our homes. There are multiple BART stations in Berkeley, such as the Ashby and Downtown Berkeley stations. The closest BART station to Palo Alto is more than 30 minutes away. With Berkeley’s easy accessibility to BART, we’re able to travel all around the Bay Area with ease. 

Concerts 

Berkeley is home to the Greek Theatre and just a short ride away from Oakland’s Fox Theater and San Francisco’s famous Bill Graham Civic Auditorium. These are extremely popular venues where artists’ host their shows. Did Lana Del Rey or Hozier perform in Palo Alto this year? Most definitely not.  

Beaches and hiking trails 

Where is the closest beach to Palo Alto, you may ask? In Half Moon Bay, which is more than 30 minutes away! Berkeley is lucky to be surrounded by many beaches, such as Albany Beach, which is less than a 10-minute car ride from Berkeley or about 50 minutes away from all the beaches in Marin County and San Francisco. Where do Stanford kids chill on those hot summer days?

As you can already tell, Berkeley is by far a better city than Palo Alto. There is just so much to experience in and around Berkeley. Can we say the same for Palo Alto? Most definitely not. Go Bears! 

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].