An outing in Anaheim, an underappreciated SoCal gem

Pariswi Tewari/Staff

Los Angeles has a dominating presence on the California coast, sprawling across 500 miles and serving as home to over 4 million people. It’s easy to forget that there are other amazing places in Southern California, not too far from Los Angeles.

Today, we want to highlight a place in SoCal that doesn’t get enough love — Anaheim. If you’re around the Anaheim area visiting Disneyland, attending a conference or even just passing through, here are a few ideas on how to spend your time around town!

Downtown Disney

It wouldn’t be a post about Anaheim without mention of the happiest place on Earth, Disneyland. If you don’t have time to spend a whole day at the theme park, strolling through Downtown Disney at night can give you a taste of that happy, magical Disney experience. The downtown strip is decorated just like the park, so it still feels like you just stepped into a wonderland!

Downtown Disney offers live music, a bunch of restaurants, Sprinkles cupcakes and even macarons shaped like unicorns. Need we say more? You can also watch the fireworks over Disneyland from here at night!

Packing District

If you’re a foodie, you’ll love the Packing District! From $1 Sapporos, magic “anti-gravity” noodles and an entire shop devoted to fancy grilled cheese, there are a ton of dining options to satiate your strongest cravings.

As soon as you walk in, you will be immediately greeted by an intense visual experience, with wild vines hanging from the ceiling, large air plants scattered everywhere, brilliant lighting and a flurry of hungry foodies.

Explore the three stories of food, drink and dessert vendors to find something that speaks to you! Among your choices are the famous “Popbar”– customizable gelato on a stick, blue açai bowls, boba served in a lightbulb with spun cotton candy on top, barbecue, vegan “Healthy Junk,” giant bags of crawfish and more! There’s a little something for everyone.

Also, check out the Packing District website for details on its night market, with outdoor movie screenings and food vendors!

Anaheim GardenWalk

For a fun shopping and dining experience, Anaheim GardenWalk is the perfect place to spend an evening with family or friends. There are a bunch of shops and delicious restaurants scattered around. For something slightly more adventurous, GardenWalk offers a bowling alley, night club, escape room, bar, virtual reality shop, AMC movie theater and even a Flightdeck simulation center. You certainly won’t be bored!

Hopefully, the next time you’re in the Anaheim area, you’ll consider branching out past Disneyland to explore all of the fun that Anaheim has to offer. We hope these tips have been helpful and inspire some curiosity to explore these places for yourself!

Contact Pariswi Tewari at [email protected].