Cal earns 6th-straight win over Boston

Sam Albillo/File

Haas Pavilion has been a fortress so far this season for the Cal women’s basketball team, which just won its sixth-straight game over Boston University 73-62 after four different players scored in double figures.

The Bears have now won seven straight home games, a streak that dates back to last season, and have once again out-hustled and out-defended their visiting opponents. The Bears tallied five or more steals for the seventh time this season and scored 20 points off of turnovers, while outrebounding Boston 42-33.

Senior Jaelyn Brown and junior Alaysia Styles both finished with 11 points, while freshman Jazlen Green scored 10 in her third straight double-digit scoring performance.

Those players had to be patient to reach their point totals, however, as the game started slow and sloppy. Through the first five minutes of play, there were only four points scored by each team until Green’s three-pointer at the beginning of the second quarter sparked an 8-0 run from the Bears.

Going into the third quarter with a 35-22 lead, Cal simply had to keep Boston’s underperforming offense at bay for the remainder of the game. A brief scare in the third quarter after a 13-2 run from Boston kept the Bears honest, but Cal’s resounding ability to close out games shined through once again. The Terriers actually shot better than the Bears from the field, but Boston’s inability to retain possession when it mattered most sealed the deal for Cal.

Boston’s freshman guard Sydney Johnson returned to form for the Terriers after only eight points in her last two games, finishing with 19 points and two assists. Her teammate, junior guard Katie Nelson, scored 14 points and kept her team in the game with nine rebounds.

The Bears have entered December with less than two losses for the sixth-straight season now, meaning they’re no stranger to dominating their nonconference opponents early on. After just three more tuneup games, Cal enters feared Pac-12 conference play.

It remains to be seen whether the collective progression of this Cal team can ultimately match the unforgiving beasts of the Pac-12. There are currently five different teams ranked in the top 25 and five different undefeated squads in the conference, a menacing schedule for a Bears team which is undersized and inexperienced.

The Bears will look to grow in the only way that they know how, though, as they’ve showed no signs of slowing down their clutch scoring and defense. Cal faces a 4-4 Santa Clara squad Saturday, which is coming off of an ugly 54-46 loss to Long Beach State after surrendering 26 turnovers and shooting 39.5% from the floor.

Cal beat Long Beach State on Nov. 30 on its way to its first Cal Classic title since 2016.

Against the Broncos, the Bears should have no problem continuing their good form on their home court once again before No. 15 Kentucky comes rolling into Haas Pavilion on Dec. 21.

Spencer Golanka writes for Bear Bytes. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @sgolanka.