How to have a successful dead week while sick

stephanie li/File

Dead week, a time for studying and doing whatever it is you do to prepare for finals. It can also be an awful time to get sick. If you’re ill, it can be really difficult to focus or get anything done but this doesn’t mean your dead week is ruined. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of dead week while also being sick.

Sleep

The best thing you can do for yourself is to get some sleep. You don’t have any classes, so let yourself sleep in and remember to go to bed earlier than you normally do. Chances are, you don’t have much — or any — homework this week, so if you work on stuff during the day, you have no excuse. Getting lots of sleep will make you feel a lot better while you’re sick and should help you recover from your illness faster!

Study in bursts

When you’re sick, it can be hard to keep your energy up. Trying to force yourself to study for as long as you can might just burn you out for the rest of the day. To avoid that, try to study in quick snippets with plenty of breaks. A good time to take a break is when you notice your attention wandering for minutes at a time. If that’s the case, then step away from whatever you’re looking at, take a break from everything and rest. Just make sure to determine how long the break will be so you don’t end up spending the entire day on your break instead of studying.

Get access to hot, tasty drinks

A hot drink is great for keeping yourself warm and comfy during the cold days at the end of the fall semester. When you’re sick you can end up even more sensitive to the cold, so a hot drink is an even better idea. If you have a scratchy throat, have some tea with lemon and it should get cleared up. Even if it doesn’t, at least you’ll have a nice hot drink to warm yourself up.

Have someone help you study

If you’re really sick but still need to study, get someone to help you. Whether it’s a friend who’ll read your notes to you or someone with whom to just talk about the material, it’ll be better than nothing. You can also watch a course capture for your class (if there is one) and try to absorb it. None of these are the most efficient ways to study, but if that’s all you can do, it will lead you to absorb at least a little bit of information.

Prioritize your health

Even worse than being sick during dead week is being sick during finals. So take care of yourself so you will feel better and eventually get better. This will be a little more personal to you, but taking medicine for whatever ails you, taking naps and resting as much as you can are all good places to start. Take care of yourself in a way you know works. Then, hopefully, you should feel a lot better long before your first final rolls around.

Being sick sucks. Hopefully, these tips will make being sick during dead week suck a little less. So good luck studying, good luck on those finals and stay healthy!

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .