It’s never too late to fall in love: Easy, delicious pumpkin spice scone recipe

flickr/Creative Commons

Mmmm, do you smell that? Pumpkin spice: the essence of fall. Fall, unfortunately, is coming to an end. Therefore, we have to cherish the flavors of fall before they’re considered “out of season.” What’s a more fun way to experience the flavors of fall than in a scone? Scones are one of my favorite pastries. They’re not too sweet and extremely easy to make you just combine a bunch of ingredients together, form the dough into a circular shape, cut out triangular pieces and then place them in the oven! It’s that easy! These pumpkin spice scones are the perfect combination of soft on the inside and crispy on the outside and will make a perfect addition to your morning coffee.

Ingredients (scone):

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup unsalted butter (1 stick of butter)
  • ⅓ cup heavy cream
  • 1 large egg
  • ½ canned pumpkin puree
  • ½ cup light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Ingredients (glaze): 

• 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • ⅓ cup pure maple syrup

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the flour, butter, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt together.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, egg, pumpkin puree, brown sugar and vanilla extract. When it is well-mixed, pour it into the flour mixture and mix until it has a dough-like consistency. Work the dough into a ball and press it into a disc. Cut the disc into eight equal triangular pieces.

Once the scones are placed onto the lined baking sheet, brush them with a tiny bit of heavy cream. Bake them for about 20-30 minutes or until they’re slightly golden.

While the scones are baking, make the glaze by combining the melted butter, maple syrup and sifted confectioners’ sugar in a bowl. Once the scones are done baking, drizzle the glaze over the scones. Allow the scones to cool for about 15 minutes before consuming!

Have you fallen in love with these scones yet?

Contact Kelly Fong at [email protected].