Party Heaven on Telegraph Avenue to close as owners retire

Brian Bi/Staff

Party Heaven — Berkeley’s local independent party shop on Telegraph Avenue — is closing its doors Dec. 24 as Yvonne and Jules Weiss, its owners, are retiring after 41 years.

Large signs stating “Everything must go – inventory and fixtures,” “Owner retiring” and “Store closing” are now hung up in front of the store.

Party Heaven is popular among students and community members year-round for its inventory of party supplies, costumes, costume accessories and balloons. Campus sophomore Ryan Bada said he is not sure where he will buy his costumes after the shop closes.

“It’s the only place I know around here, to my knowledge,” Bada said. “I’m sad that it’s the only place I know I can get costumes that’s close to campus and from where I live.”

The two owners initially opened their business in 1978 as Paper Heaven, selling paper goods. The business then moved to Shattuck Avenue for about 20 years before relocating to 2570 Bancroft Way in 2010 — changing its name to Party Heaven — according to Berkeleyside.

In 2018, because of the planned development of an eight-story private complex, Party Heaven relocated to its current location on Telegraph Avenue.

The shop regards itself as the “East Bay’s Best Costume Spot” each October, according to its website and Facebook page.

Every year, there are hundreds of costume items stocked, organized by theme in the store, the website states. As Halloween nears, the store is filled with students and community members, forming long lines to try on and check out their costume of choice.

Campus senior Kelly Ochoa said she goes online shopping because it is efficient and cheaper, and she is able to receive her items quickly.

“I’m sad to see Party Heaven go though,” Ochoa said. “It was my go-to for all my parties.”

Contact Marc Escobar at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @mescobar_dc.