Berkeley police arrest suspect after car chase on Southside

Google/Courtesy

A car chase early Thursday evening that occurred on Southside ended in a collision with four vehicles at a signal light on Piedmont Avenue and Dwight Way.

At 6:38 p.m. Thursday, an officer in a patrol vehicle from BPD saw a stolen vehicle driving southbound on Fulton Street approaching Durant Avenue, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White. The pursuit began after the officer followed the driver of the stolen vehicle into a corner gas station and the driver sideswiped the patrol vehicle.

The driver of the stolen vehicle drove away southbound on Fulton Street and then eastbound on Channing Way. Officers later caught up with the stolen vehicle in traffic on Piedmont Avenue and Dwight Way.

The driver of the stolen vehicle attempted to pass through two lanes of traffic and collided with four vehicles stopped at the signal light.

Following the collision, the driver and front-seat passenger of the stolen vehicle ran away on foot with the front passenger escaping. Officers were, however, able to catch up to the driver after a short foot chase, according to White.

“The driver (Andrea Littman) was arrested on suspicion of embezzling/theft of a rental vehicle, willfully evading a police officer, fleeing a hit & run collision and resisting arrest,” White said in an email.

Thao Nguyen is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @tnguyen_dc.