CA Gov. Newsom announces collaboration with diverse media outlets

wikimedia/Creative Commons

California Gov. Gavin Newsom released a statement Sunday announcing a collaboration with ethnic, diverse and LGBT media outlets, to which he will contribute an original column on public policy issues.

Newsom’s collaborators include California Black Media, Ethnic Media Services, ImpreMedia, Univision, as well as LGBT outlets Bay Area Reporter and the Los Angeles Blade. The column, titled “On the Record with Gavin Newsom,” will be translated into at least six languages and will be distributed beginning this month. The column will also be available on Newsom’s website and will be published by more than 50 media outlets.

“California is proud to be the most diverse state in the world’s most diverse democracy,” Newsom said in the statement. “All Californians deserve to know that their government is working for them, especially in rural and Inland communities that have long felt that they do not truly have a voice in Sacramento.”

Representatives of Black, Latinx, Asian and Native media proposed the idea in an effort to educate state legislators and promote a multicultural voice in the media, according to Sandy Close, founder of Ethnic Media Services.

The collaboration also aims to highlight the LGBT community, and the column will be published in outlets such as Bay Area Reporter and the Los Angeles Blade.

“I think it’s great that ethnic and LGBT media outlets are providing this service by running the op-eds, which are available to everyone,” said Cynthia Laird, news editor of Bay Area Reporter, in an email. “We, of course, will continue to cover the governor, and will voice our opinions via our editorials if we find a policy or something he does that we disagree with.”

Regina Brown Wilson, executive director of California Black Media, said the governor and the participating media outlets must work to bring all voices to the table in Sacramento. 

Additionally, the column aims to address challenges in communication with the Native community, according to Joseph Orozco, station manager of KIDE-FM, a radio station based in the Hoopa reservation located in northern Eureka.

According to Gabriel Lerner, editor in chief of ImpreMedia’s La Opinión, the column represents the need for Newsom to engage with communities affected by recent anti-immigrant measures.

“Every new announcement from the White House creates a relentless campaign of terror,” Lerner said in the governor’s statement. “The column is one small but important counter-voice that all immigrants need to hear.”

Marc Escobar is the lead race and diversity reporter. Contact him at [email protected] and follow him on Twitter at @mescobar_dc.