BART ticket fares to increase in 2020

Kristen Tamsil/Staff

BART fares are planned to increase by 5.4% starting Jan. 1, 2020.

This increase is part of a program that was first approved by the BART Board of Directors in 2003 and was renewed again in 2013, according to BART spokesperson Christopher Filippi.

“To help fund the BART system’s extensive capital needs, BART has an inflation-based fare increase program adopted by the Board of Directors that raises fares every other year at a rate of .5% less than inflation for the previous 2-year period,” states the BART press release released Dec. 2.

Because BART is not heavily subsidized by the government, it relies on fares to keep up with rising inflation, according to the release. Fares make up two-thirds of BART’s operating budget.

BART is encouraging clients to utilize Clipper cards, as they will save passengers the 50 cents they would have to pay per paper ticket, according to the press release.

“The additional fare revenue will help fund BART’s extensive capital needs,” Filippi said in an email. “All the additional revenue will go towards new rail cars, a new train control system and a new maintenance complex for the Fleet of the Future.”

BART will also be participating in the Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s Means-Based Fare Discount Program Pilot, according to Filippi.

The program is expected to begin next year and would offer a 20% to 50% fare discount to adults living in the Bay Area whose annual earnings are up to 200% of the federal poverty level, according to the Metropolitan Transportation Commission website.

“This is the last of four biennial fare increases called for under the 2013 series,” states the release. “The BART Board has approved a third series of inflation-based fare increases that will go into effect in 2022, 2024 and 2026.”

Contact Audry Jeong at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @audryjng_dc.