BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Cal football announces additional absences for Redbox Bowl

JOSHUA JORDAN | FILE

|

Former Editor-in-Chief & President

DECEMBER 23, 2019

A week after starting free safety Ashtyn Davis was ruled out of the Redbox Bowl due to a season-ending surgery, Cal football announced that three additional key players will not partake in next Monday’s contest against Illinois.

Senior wide receiver Jordan Duncan, who was not with the team on Nov. 30 in its win against UCLA, will conclude his Cal career with 42 appearances across four seasons. He finished that career with 62 receptions for 782 yards and eight touchdowns, including two during his senior year.

Redshirt junior linebacker Tevin Paul will also not play against the Fighting Illini after amassing 28 total tackles this season in a complementary role to fellow outside linebacker Cameron Goode. In three seasons, Paul has compiled 90 tackles and six sacks, and is expected to retain his starting job in 2020.

Finally, redshirt senior safety Trey Turner III — the only player on the roster to have played in the 2015 Armed Forces Bowl and 2018 Cheez-It Bowl — will miss out on a third bowl appearance with the Cal program. In his final season with the blue and gold, Turner racked up a career-high 32 total tackles and defended four passes, while also playing a role on special teams.

Head coach Justin Wilcox revealed that the three players will miss out on the game “for one reason or another” after practice on Monday morning.

Receiver Kekoa Crawford, outside linebacker Ben Hawk Schrider and safety Daniel Scott are likely candidates to receive starts in place of Duncan, Paul and Turner, respectively.

Josh Yuen is the editor in chief. Contact him at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @joshcal2020.

DECEMBER 27, 2019