Shooting on Southside leaves no injuries

Daniel Kim/File

Updated 12/31/2019: This article has been updated with more information from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

A shooting occurred on Southside near Bear Basics at the intersection of Telegraph Avenue and Durant Avenue on Thursday at 7:29 p.m.

No one was injured in the incident, according to the Berkeley Police Department.

Officers responded to the scene after receiving reports of gunfire in the area, according to White in a press release. Officers found several bullet holes in a local business storefront and several expended bullet cases on the sidewalk.

The press release added that there were several witnesses at the scene who said numerous bystanders were nearly injured by the gunfire and the shooting occurred during a dispute between several people.

The alleged shooter in this incident was identified as Rashad Glenn Albert and detectives obtained a warrant for his arrest, according to the press release. Officers arrested Albert on Dec. 29 after he caused a disturbance at another local business and threatened to shoot the employees.

The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office charged Albert with assault with a deadly weapon, shooting at an inhabited vehicle and being a felon in possession of a firearm on Dec. 31, according to the press release.

Kate Finman is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.