BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Simon Lekressner drafted 30th overall in MLS SuperDraft

|

Editor-in-Chief and President

JANUARY 09, 2020

Former Cal defender Simon Lekressner has been drafted with the fourth pick in the second round of the MLS SuperDraft by the New England Revolution.

The senior from Bellevue, Washington had an excellent season, scoring a career-high five goals and adding two assists — including goals against then-No. 1 Washington and a dramatic, game-tying 90th minute goal against UCLA.

Originally projected as a first round pick, Lekressner fell into the second round where New England would draft him with the 30th overall pick. Lekressner was the second defender drafted by the Revolution on day one of the draft after Virginia defender Henry Kessler was taken with the 6th pick. The Revs focused on improving their backline with their next pick as well, drafting goalie Keegan Meyer later in the second round.

Lekressner gained attention for both his strong performance in his senior season and his versatility. Converted to a right-back from the striker position, Lekressner brings speed, power and composure on the ball, often attacking and defending as a wing-back. He will give New England head coach Bruce Arena options in defense and attack.

The only Bear eligible for this year’s MLS SuperDraft, Lekressner started all 18 games this season. He departs Cal with eight goals and five assists in 65 appearances over the course of his college career. Lekressner is the second Cal men’s soccer alumni to find an MLS team this season, as goalkeeper Drake Callender signed a contract with Inter Miami CF.

Jasper Kenzo Sundeen is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]l.org.

JANUARY 09, 2020