ASUC Senate committee approves Wall Street Journal contract

Cheyenne Tex/Staff

The ASUC Senate Inter-Semester Committee met virtually Monday to discuss its pending contract with the Wall Street Journal, or WSJ.

The meeting, which lasted less than five minutes, was attended by four of the six ASUC senators on the committee. ASUC Senators Romario, who does not use a last name, and Jeremiah Kim were not in attendance.

The two-year contract was approved unanimously by ASUC Senators Omotara Oloye, Haazim Amirali, Milton Zerman and Carolyn Le.

“As a longtime subscriber and daily reader of the Wall Street Journal, I am overjoyed that all Berkeley students will now have access,” Zerman said in a text message. “Aside from its detailed focus on world news, the Journal will be especially useful to students focusing in business and economics.”

In the contract, the ASUC agreed to pay the WSJ more than $17,000 for online subscriptions for currently enrolled students and employed faculty and staff.

According to ASUC Chief Legal Officer Jedidiah Tsang, Executive Vice President Andy Theocharous must still receive the written approval of 14 ASUC senators in order for the contract to be officially approved by the senate because the contract involves multiple years.

Kate Finman is the university news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @KateFinman_DC.