Spring cleaning: The Clog’s guide to tidying up this semester

Josh Kahen/Staff

Returning to UC Berkeley after a long break is never fun, but there are definitely things you can do to make the start of the semester easier. We’ve prepared a list of ways to help make your transition from winter break to the new semester a little smoother. Doing a spring cleaning of your living space is a great way to get ready for a fresh start. Here are a few things you can do to tidy up and feel prepped and ready to take on the spring!

Wash your bedding to freshen up your space 

There is truly no better feeling than sliding into a freshly made bed at the end of a long day. Like many other students, I can’t even remember the last time I washed my sheets. Even if you did find the time to clean your bedding during final exams, anything you have on your bed has now been exposed to any and every dust particle. Or even worse — crawling critters may have snuck in. Do yourself a favor and throw it all in the wash. Once they’re dry, take the time to make your bed properly. That way, after your exhausting first day of classes, you’ll have something to look forward to at the end of the day!

Clorox EVERYTHING

Along with your bed, dust is most likely clinging to every other piece of furniture you have. Grab a big tub of Clorox wipes and channel your inner elementary school self who wanted to wipe every particle of dirt from their desk. Wipe down all the surfaces possible in your dorm. If you have an apartment, make sure to budget more time to wipe down a shared bathroom, common area or kitchen. If you feel like Clorox wipes aren’t strong enough to do the job, feel free to use your preferred cleaning supplies to get your living accommodations fresh and ready for another semester.  

Organize your desk

After your desk has been diligently Clorox-wiped, the next step is to sort through any clutter you may have. To get the full effect, remove all items from on top of your desk and empty your drawers. Go through all contents and sort them into three piles. The first pile should consist of the items you want to keep, the second of the things you can give away and the third of trash. Once all your items are sorted, decide from the pile of stuff you are keeping where you would like everything to go. We recommend keeping your most-used items on top of your desk, so they’re easily accessible. Or, organize them however you want to make you the most productive.

Grocery shop and organize your fridge 

Being an undeniable food lover myself, I actually get excited to go grocery shopping! Even if it’s not your favorite errand, you should still plan out a time this week to go. After a month of not being in Berkeley, chances are your fridge is either empty or filled with expired food. To start the semester on the right foot, make sure you pick up food that can serve as good brain fuel. It’s a smart idea to make a list ahead of time so you can go in and grab everything you need. Following a list will not only save you time but also money! Once you stock up on food, make the extra effort to actually organize it. This small step will help you feel much more clear-headed as you start classes.

Try following this list of chores at the start of the new semester to increase your productivity. Or, take the time to find whatever methods will help you best prepare — happy cleaning!

Contact Jackie Amendola at [email protected].