University Avenue, Sixth Street collision ends in fatality

Google Maps/Courtesy

Updated 01/20/2020: This article has been updated with more information from BPD spokesperson Officer Byron White.

A fatal collision occurred at the intersection of University Avenue and Sixth Street on Monday morning and resulted in one death, according to a Nixle Alert.

At about 10:30 a.m., a UCPD officer was driving in the Sixth Street area and heard the sound of a woman screaming for help, said Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White. The officer pulled over the suspect vehicle before the suspect vehicle drove off.

White added that the officer then followed the suspect vehicle and, in a series of turns, the suspect vehicle drove onto the sidewalk, colliding into a pedestrian before driving off onto the freeway.

About seven police cars were at the scene with police tape bordering the area at about 11:30 a.m. The Nixle Alert added that BPD is currently investigating the case.

BPD recommended the public avoid the area because of traffic delays and road closures at the intersection.

According to the BPD Twitter, the BPD Fatal Accident Investigation Team and BPD Homicide Unit were at the scene. The suspect vehicle is a charcoal gray four-door sedan and the two occupants in the vehicle were a woman and possibly a male driver, according to White.

BPD is asking people who passed through the scene and people with dashcams to share any information they could have. As of press time, the intersection is closed.

Check back for updates.

Thao Nguyen is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @tnguyen_dc.