A nutrient-rich pesto, roasted vegetable bowl recipe

Flickr/Creative Commons

Whether you call them power bowls, grain bowls or something else altogether, this nutrient-rich, vegetable-heavy meal is sure to leave you feeling satisfied and ready to take on the world. Better yet, they’re super easy to make ahead of time for meal prep, include relatively inexpensive ingredients and can be very easily customized. The recipe below is just a template for your creativity: try switching up the vegetables, add a fried egg on top, change out the grains, use a different sauce or add in cooked chicken or tofu for extra protein. No matter how you make it, it’s sure to be good!

Ingredients:

1 bunch of fresh basil

2 cloves of garlic

⅓ cup pine nuts or walnuts

⅓ cup olive oil

⅓ cup grated parmesan

2-3 sweet potatoes

1 head of cauliflower

2 cups of brussels sprouts

1 avocado

1 cup of uncooked brown rice or quinoa

1 can of garbanzo beans, drained

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Start by peeling the sweet potatoes, then cut the sweet potatoes, cauliflower and brussels sprouts into bite-size pieces. Place the vegetables onto a sheet pan. Toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast the vegetables for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so, adding the garbanzo beans in the last 5 minutes.

While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the rice or quinoa according to package directions. To make the pesto, combine the basil, garlic, pine nuts or walnuts, olive oil, parmesan, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender. Feel free to taste it as you blend it and add more of certain ingredients until it reaches your desired taste and consistency.

To assemble the bowl, start with a base of rice or quinoa, then top with the roasted veggies, sliced avocado and pesto. This can easily be put in a container to save for later or eaten right on the spot. It will be enjoyable no matter how you make it!

Contact Beatrice Aronson at [email protected].