Arizona’s desert rose: The Clog’s travel guide to Scottsdale

Jackie Amendola/Staff

While I don’t recommend visiting in the summer due to its extremely high temperatures, Scottsdale is a beautiful city in Arizona that has something for everyone. The desert views are spectacular and there are tons of places in the city to check out! From the unique and vibrant restaurants to the plethora of activities, Scottsdale is the perfect destination for your next vacation.

Hiking and other outdoor activities

When it comes to outdoor activities, Scottsdale has it all. The beautiful warm weather and scenic mountain views set the perfect backdrop for the outdoor activity of your choice. One of the most popular activities throughout all of Arizona is hiking, and Scottsdale specifically has some great opportunities. The entirety of Scottsdale has views of Camelback Mountain, which, as its name implies, is famous for its three humps. This mountain is home to a beloved hike that people from all over come to climb. Beware, though: it’s known as an extremely difficult hike that only experienced hikers should attempt. If hiking isn’t your thing, Scottsdale is also home to tons of beautiful resorts and facilities for golf, tennis and swimming.

Fun activities 

In addition to the sporty activities mentioned above, Scottsdale also has some cool new things that are great for a big group or family. Top Golf was recently built and is definitely a favorite among locals who don’t have the time for an actual round of golf. Right next door is the newly constructed OdySea Aquarium. It’s a standout and is perfect to explore on a hot Arizona day. It’s also connected to Butterfly Wonderland, so you can hit both in one day! If you are looking for a more exciting activity, you might want to check out iFLY for indoor skydiving. Other popular spots in Scottsdale are Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons. Right across the street from each other, both of these outdoor shopping areas hold their own luxury shops and fun restaurants.

Unique restaurants 

Scottsdale has an amazing food scene with any kind of food you could ask for. Some, however, definitely stand out among the rest. SumoMaya is a local favorite and its food has a unique combination of Asian and Mexican flare. While some are skeptical about the mix, most leave with rave reviews and a new look at the cuisine. On the other end of the spectrum, Cafe Monarch completely transports you to a French villa, consisting of a beautiful restaurant and exceptional French cuisine. For those looking for more authentic Tex-Mex Arizonian cuisine, Diego Pops is a vibrant Mexican restaurant located in the heart of Old Town Scottsdale. It offers an exciting atmosphere with high-quality Mexican street eats that locals and visitors alike can’t seem to get enough of!

Day trips 

Scottsdale is a great middle ground in Arizona where you can head to nearby cool cities in a relatively short amount of time. Sedona, a town about two hours from Scottsdale, is known for its abundant and picturesque red rocks. The town has lots of cute shops and places to eat with the mesmerizing view of the dark red jagged mountains. Flagstaff is also about two hours away and is the perfect getaway, especially in winter. The snowy mountains are the perfect backdrop for a family ski trip and are a great escape from the Scottsdale heat. Flagstaff also has a nice town to walk around that boasts notable food and shopping. Of course, the most famous Arizona destination is the Grand Canyon. About three hours from Scottsdale, there are endless sights and activities to do when visiting the Grand Canyon. It is the perfect spot for amazing photos and breathtaking views.

Whatever you choose to do, Scottsdale is a great spot to explore. With its unparalleled sunsets and seemingly endless activities, we know you’ll enjoy your trip to Arizona!

Contact Jackie Amendola at [email protected].