ASUC announces partnerships with The New York Times, Wall Street Journal

Brian Bi/Staff

The ASUC and Graduate Assembly held an event Wednesday to announce campus partnerships with The New York Times and the Wall Street Journal.

After a semester of discussions, the Office of the ASUC Executive Vice President obtained low-cost subscriptions to these publications for all UC Berkeley students that are intended to enhance the community’s academics and foster a greater intellectual environment. Both undergraduate and graduate students will have free unlimited access to the online content of the Wall Street Journal and The New York Times until the date of their graduation.

“Our goal for students is simple: to inspire them to pursue their passions and turn those into careers,” said Wall Street Journal education account manager Ashle David during the event.

The Wall Street Journal will also offer campus faculty and staff free access to its publication while both will share access to academic resources. Initially, the subscription contracts will last three years with The New York Times and two years with the Wall Street Journal.

The partnerships are funded by the ASUC commercial revenue accounts that come from Student Union business ventures, meaning that partnerships will not use student fee funds.

“It is important to us that the money spent at our ASUC Student Union comes back to all students,” said ASUC Executive Vice President Andy Theocharous during the event.

To bring students more than “just subscriptions,” both publications will be collaborating with ASUC-approved student organizations, according to the Facebook event description.

The New York Times pledged to bring at least one speaker per year to campus and will invite two campus student journalists to its New York City headquarters to take part in the Student Newspaper Editors’ Workshop.

The New York Times is also sharing access to its academic resources with students and faculty. With “Resources Designed For Educators,” faculty can utilize any of the outlines to ground news events in various areas of study, according to the New York Times education website.

With the Wall Street Journal, professors will have access to tools that connect the newspaper’s articles to classroom learning with ease. Students will also be able to use the Wall Street Journal’s student hub, where they can engage with content featuring career advice, interview tips, job prep and tips for personal finance.

The Student Editor Summit will also be coming to campus. Students will have the opportunity to network and learn from the newspaper’s prominent journalists by attending this summit.

“The Wall Street Journal is sometimes mistakenly known for just business and finance, but we want to show you that no matter what your major is, you’ll find it beneficial to use every day,” David said during the event.

Angelina Wang is a student government reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @dc_angelina.