BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 27, 2022

The Daily Californian’s predictions for the 62nd annual Grammy Awards

ANN LIU | STAFF

JANUARY 23, 2020

Record of the Year

• “Hey, Ma” — Bon Iver
  • “bad guy” — Billie Eilish
  • “7 rings” — Ariana Grande
  • “Hard Place” — H.E.R.
  • “Talk” — Khalid
  • “Old Town Road” — Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus
  • “Truth Hurts” — Lizzo
  • “Sunflower” — Post Malone and Swae Lee

Record of the year is without a doubt one of the hottest honors at the Grammy Awards. With contenders like Ariana Grande, Post Malone, Bon Iver and Lizzo, the competition is set to be saucy. Nearly all of the nominations were among the hottest radio hits of last year, but we think Billie Eilish’s breakout single sent her over the edge of deserving. Her toughest competition is looking to be Post Malone, considering the fact that last year, the “Sunflower” artist held several nominations and came up short with no wins. Both artists hold well over a billion Spotify streams for their respective tracks, but the Recording Academy will likely decide to reward Post Malone’s growth over Eilish’s young savvy. 

What will win: “Sunflower” — Post Malone and Swae Lee

What should win: “bad guy” — Billie Eilish

Album of the Year

• i,i — Bon Iver
  • Norman F—— Rockwell! — Lana Del Rey
  • When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? — Billie Eilish
  • thank u, next — Ariana Grande
  • I Used to Know Her — H.E.R.
  • 7 — Lil Nas X
  • Cuz I Love You (Deluxe) — Lizzo
  • Father of the Bride — Vampire Weekend

The nominees for album of the year should come as no surprise to anyone who has been following music news over the course of the year. It’s clear that thank u, next by Ariana Grande is the main winner pick for the category, based on the immense media attention and chart-topping tendencies of the album. Norman F—— Rockwell! from Lana Del Rey is certainly a contender as well, and while she has historically been nominated for best pop vocal album, we’re glad to see a more alternative artist like her — as well as Bon Iver and Vampire Weekend — in the running for album of the year. Billie Eilish’s When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? and Lizzo’s Cuz I Love You, while strong choices, fell a bit short in garnering the same record-breaking successes of thank u, next.

What will win: thank u, next — Ariana Grande

What should win: Norman F—— Rockwell! — Lana Del Rey

Song of the Year

• “Always Remember Us This Way” — Lady Gaga
  • “bad guy” — Billie Eilish
  • “Bring My Flowers Now” — Tanya Tucker
  • “Hard Place” — H.E.R.
  • “Lover” — Taylor Swift
  • “Norman f—— Rockwell” — Lana Del Rey
  • “Someone You Loved” — Lewis Capaldi
  • “Truth Hurts” — Lizzo

We all love Lizzo, but the Recording Academy just adores Taylor Swift. With 10 Grammy awards already under her belt and a charming single from Lover, there’s sure to be a fierce battle for bragging rights in the song of the year category. Even though “Truth Hurts” is objectively a better anthem than Swift’s tired romantic crooning, Swift’s return to her pop-country roots may garner recognition from the oldies fans in the Academy. Although we would love to see Lizzo presented with this honor for all of her successful efforts over the past years, Swift’s 1989 revival will probably take the cake. Truth hurts. 

What will win: “Lover” — Taylor Swift

What should win: “Truth Hurts” — Lizzo

Best New Artist

• Black Pumas
  • Billie Eilish
  • Lil Nas X
  • Lizzo 
  • Maggie Rogers
  • Rosalía
  • Tank and the Bangas
  • Yola

Of the eight artists nominated in the best new artist category, four stand out above the rest. Billie Eilish, Lizzo, Maggie Rogers and Lil Nas X have all left their mark on the music scene, despite only achieving widespread fame during recent years. We hope Lizzo’s slow and steady rise to fame gives her the edge she needs to win best new artist, but she has fierce competition with Billie Eilish and Maggie Rogers. Rogers looks like the most likely winner, embodying the perfect mix of comfortable fresh talent and a supposedly viral rise to fame. Eilish could also win this category, but her more unconventional style of music may lose to Rogers’ tried-and-true brand.

Who will win: Maggie Rogers

Who should win: Lizzo

Best Pop Vocal Album

• The Lion King: The Gift — Beyoncé
  • thank u, next — Ariana Grande
  • No.6 Collaborations Project — Ed Sheeran
  • Lover — Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift produced a song with the Dixie Chicks, so this one is almost guaranteed — sorry, Ed Sheeran, no chance for you here. Circling back, Swift has had more than 30 Grammy nominations since her Fearless album a decade ago. As much as we celebrate the fresh talent and edgy aesthetic that Eilish championed with her freshman record, the Recording Academy is sure to disappoint once again by sticking with the status quo. And even though Beyoncé’s album for “The Lion King” was of epic proportions, the Academy will still find some way to annually make us mad. 

What will win: Lover — Taylor Swift

What should win: When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? — Billie Eilish

Best Rock Album

• Amo — Bring Me The Horizon
  • Social Cues — Cage the Elephant
  • In the End — the Cranberries
  • Trauma — I Prevail
  • Feral Roots — Rival Sons

Cage the Elephant’s Social Cues was one of the most anticipated releases of 2019 for rock fans. With solid vocals, mixing, lyrics and everything in between, we’re pining for a potential win to follow the band’s 2017 win for Tell Me I’m Pretty. The Cranberries, however, with deeply planted ’90s roots and a strong female lead, may take the lead over more new-age candidates. Facing against Bring Me The Horizon, I Prevail and Rival Sons, the Cranberries are the most mellow, safe choice for the Academy to settle for. The strongest competitor for these two groups is probably Rival Sons, which mirrors many qualities of traditional classic rock — the Recording Academy’s favorite.   

What will win: In the End — the Cranberries

What should win: Social Cues — Cage the Elephant

Best Alternative Music Album

• U.F.O.F. — Big Thief
  • Assume Form — James Blake
  • i,i — Bon Iver
  • Father of the Bride — Vampire Weekend
  • Anima — Thom Yorke

Anima by Thom Yorke is the ideal candidate for showcasing the evolving meaning of alternative music. This heavily techno-electronic album will undoubtedly go head-to-head with Vampire Weekend’s hiatus-ending album Father of the Bride, James Blake’s pop-influenced album Assume Form and Bon Iver’s i,i for album of the year. Father of the Bride will likely earn the win, its nostalgic pop hooks and bright experimental sound characteristic of a typical, voter-friendly alternative album.

What will win: Father of the Bride — Vampire Weekend

What should win: Anima — Thom Yorke

Best Rap Album

• Revenge of the Dreamers III — Dreamville
  • Championships — Meek Mill
  • I AM > I WAS — 21 Savage
  • IGOR — Tyler, the Creator
  • The Lost Boy — YBN Cordae

Nominees for best rap album include major names in rap such as Meek Mill and 21 Savage, but Tyler, the Creator’s magnum opus, IGOR, sweeps the competition under the rug. Ironically, he told his fans to not listen to IGOR as a rap album, and the album overall reads more like a hip-hop album rather than a rap album. Regardless, IGOR has just enough smooth rap flows mixed with innovative accompanying vocals, funk elements and synth beats to make it stand out. YBN Cordae’s extremely refined album, The Lost Boy, could steal the win out from under Tyler with its star-studded features and narrative similar to IGOR’s narrative.

What will win: IGOR Tyler, the Creator

What should win: IGOR — Tyler, the Creator

Contact Skylar De Paul at 

JANUARY 23, 2020