Berkeley police place suspect from fatal collision incident in custody

Updated 1/31/2020: This article has been updated with more information from Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

A fatal collision occurred at the intersection of University Avenue and Sixth Street on Jan. 20 and resulted in the death of a 58-year-old woman, according to a Nixle Alert.

At about 10:30 a.m., a UCPD officer was driving in the area of Sixth Street and saw a man inside a parked vehicle violently attacking a female passenger, according to the Nixle Alert. The officer heard the female passenger screaming for help and tried to intervene.

The suspect then drove away with the officer following the suspect vehicle. In a series of turns, the suspect vehicle drove onto the sidewalk, colliding into a pedestrian before driving off onto the freeway. About seven police cars were at the scene with police tape bordering the area at about 11:30 a.m.

According to the Nixle Alert, many community members have contacted BPD since the incident. BPD investigators were able to identify the suspect of the incident as 29-year-old Alexander McGee.

The Nixle Alert added that BPD officers searched two North Oakland locations for McGee on Jan. 24, however, McGee was able to avoid arrest. McGee is wanted for vehicular manslaughter, hit and run causing death, felony domestic violence, violation of his probation and has two preexisting warrants for his arrest from Contra Costa County.

McGee is considered armed, dangerous and known for fleeing or fighting police, according to the Nixle Alert. BPD recommended the public to not approach or contact McGee if he is seen, but to immediately contact emergency services.

As first reported by Berkeleyside and according to an email from White, McGee was arrested Wednesday night in the city of Oakland by BPD’s Special Response Team.

Thao Nguyen is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @tnguyen_dc.