BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

Berkeley resident arrested on a charge of robbery in San Francisco

GOOGLE MAPS | COURTESY

JANUARY 27, 2020

About 3:09 p.m. Jan. 24, San Francisco Police Department, or SFPD, officers were conducting surveillance in the 1000 block of Market Street area and saw two men engaging in an altercation with a third man, according to SFPD spokesperson Sgt. Michael Andraychak.

The two men were later identified as 27-year-old Philip Meredith of Berkeley and 24-year-old Robert Salvador of San Francisco. Meredith and Salvador were attacking the third man and officers saw Meredith pull out a pistol, Andraychak said in an email.

“Officers also saw one of the two pick up a gold chain that flew from the scuffle. The third party ran away and officers radioed for back up,” Andraychak added in the email.

Meredith ran into a stereo store, running up to the second story of the building as responding officers arrived at the scene, Andraychak said in the email. Meredith then fell through the ceiling and was taken into custody. A Glock .40-caliber pistol was also found in the upper level of the store.

Salvador attempted to evade arrest but was detained by officers, while an ambulance transported Meredith, where he was treated and later released, according to Andraychak. The third man, who is believed to be the robbery victim, fled the scene.

Meredith was booked for robbery, conspiracy, parole violation, concealing evidence, resisting arrest, being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm, carrying a loaded firearm, carrying a concealed firearm, possession of ammunition by a prohibited person, possession for the sale of cannabis and unlawful transportation and sales of cannabis, Andraychak said in the email. Salvador was booked for robbery, conspiracy and possession for the sale of cannabis.

Andraychak added that while arrests have been made, the investigation remains active. SFPD is asking the public to contact SFPD if anyone has information on the case.

Contact Thao Nguyen at  or on Twitter

JANUARY 27, 2020