Stay rested this semester: How to get back on a good sleep schedule

Maddie Fruman/Staff

Winter break is a great time to relax and relieve some of the stress that was built up over the previous semester. You can usually stay up as late as you want because you know you can sleep in. The only problem is that after all that freedom, the new semester starts and it can be hard to get back on a regular sleep schedule. Here are some tips to help you get on a good sleep schedule for the new semester.

Set an alarm that will work

One of the most difficult things to get used to is waking up at a set time in the morning. An alarm can help, even if you’re the type of person who hits the snooze button lots of times before actually getting up. It all depends on the time for which you set your alarm. Figure out how long you need to get ready in the morning and whether or not you’ll hit the snooze button a few times first. Use that knowledge to make an alarm that will get you up when you need it to. Experiment with your alarms during these earlier weeks and you should be able to narrow down the exact time you should set your alarm. If you do, you should be able to get to school for your first class with little stress.

Go to bed earlier

If you’re having trouble getting up in the morning, then one thing you can do is go to bed earlier in the evening. Doing so will allow you to get plenty of sleep, which will make you feel more rested in the morning. It may seem silly and impossible with your heavy workload, but it can actually work. Go to bed earlier gradually so your body can get used to it, and eventually, you’ll start to get loads of sleep — even with an 8 a.m. class. It’s hard to do your best work late at night, so instead of staying up late studying, go to bed and rest your brain for the next day!

Be consistent

A good way to feel well-rested is to go to sleep (and wake up) at a regular time so your body can get used to a regular sleep schedule. Even if your schedule only lets you get four hours of sleep, being able to go to bed and sleep at the same time every night will make you feel better than if you change up when you go to bed every night. It’ll also create a habit out of the new sleep schedule you need to have during the semester. If it’s a habit there’s less of a chance you’ll accidentally stay up super late when you have a class early the following morning.

Take naps

Naps can be a wonderful thing if you can take them. You can get some sleep during your free time when you won’t be able to get anything else done. If you’re not the kind of person who can nap during the day, don’t worry. You can still get enough sleep at night. If this is something that works for you, though, why not enjoy a nap so you’ll feel refreshed later in the day. Train yourself to take 20-minute power naps that can easily fit into your schedule and always leave you feeling energized!

A new semester always comes with a new schedule. Hopefully, these tips will help you adjust to the months of work ahead!

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .