Up and at ’em! Here’s how to have a productive morning

Caragh Mcerlean/File

The semester has just started (and so has the new year!) so spirits are definitely high to make this an amazing 2020. But after a few weeks of late nights and stressful days, it’s easy to fall off of the productive bandwagon and start falling into bad habits. Enter this amazing guide to having the most productive morning ever!

It all starts with the night before: Go to sleep at a reasonable hour and get your eight hours of sleep in. And no, your eight hours of sleep don’t count if they happen between 2 a.m. and 10 a.m. Having a good circadian rhythm is important, and you’ll feel much more refreshed if you follow a normal bedtime routine. Going to sleep between 10 p.m. and 11 p.m. and waking up between 6 a.m. and 7 a.m. is best.

If you have trouble falling asleep early, you might just have to force yourself to wake up early for a few days. I’m not going to lie, it’ll feel terrible and unnatural at first, but soon your body will naturally start feeling tired earlier. As a result, you’ll be able to regulate your sleep schedule.

As soon as you’ve woken up, it’s important to get your body moving. A solid hour of exercise is ideal, but if you don’t have the time, take a 10-minute walk outside to get your blood flowing. It’ll help you feel more awake, and being in nature will improve your mood! If it’s too cold outside (and in Berkeley, it usually is!) you can do a quick yoga flow in the comfort of your bedroom — just search for a quick follow-along video on YouTube, and you’re good to go!

After getting some movement in, your mind will be ready to take on any challenge you might throw at it. Grab a hot cup of tea, your favorite breakfast and start cracking open those books! With any luck, you’ll get in at least a few hours of studying before your first class.

If you’re one of the unlucky people who have 8 a.m. classes most days, you might need to adjust your wake-up schedule to get everything done before your classes. If you’re feeling inspired to really kick butt this semester, joining the 5 a.m. wake up club is the best option. It might sound challenging, but tons of entrepreneurs swear by the practice of waking up super early to enable the best moments of productivity.

We at the Clog hope you enjoyed this guide to having the best productive morning. If you follow these tips, you’re sure to have the best spring semester ever!

Contact Jazmin Cubilla at [email protected].