San José del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas: The best of both towns!

Wikimedia/Creative Commons

When visiting Cabo, Mexico, tourists typically stay in one of the two towns that make up Cabo — San José del Cabo or Cabo San Lucas. Both are vastly different and have their own qualities that make them unique. Interestingly enough, when I visited this past Christmas I stayed right in the middle between the two towns, which proved to be a unique experience. I loved traveling to both, so I want to share what I found to be so special about each!

San José del Cabo

San José del Cabo is the old town of Cabo. The charming city is centered around the Catedral de San José, which overlooks the main square. The main square and surrounding streets are full of color and life, with local children playing games and families selling their homemade Mexican food. Each shop that lines the square has an individual flair, but the main focus of the shops in the old town relates to art. One of San José del Cabo’s best features is its weekly art walks. Tourists from all over do their best to blend in with the enormous local scene and browse all the fantastic local artwork.

After gazing at the beautiful art, the incredible aromas from the authentic restaurants will lead you in. One of my favorite restaurants is Jazmin’s Restaurant, which offers any delicious Mexican specialty you could ever desire. The restaurant’s brightly colored decor and welcoming environment made for an enjoyable experience, which became even better when a mariachi quartet came in and serenaded our table! San José del Cabo is perfect for strolling, eating great Mexican food and admiring all the handmade art and items made locally in Cabo.

Cabo San Lucas

On the other side of Cabo is Cabo San Lucas — the perfect place to go to if you are looking for a good time! Much more exuberant than San José del Cabo, Cabo San Lucas is right on the water and is most famous for its view of the incredible rock formations that create the famous “love arch.” The best of Cabo’s beaches can be discovered in Cabo San Lucas, so if you are looking for beach activities, this is the place for you! My family is a little less adventurous so we settled on a sunset cruise, and it did not disappoint!

If you are looking for more excitement, there is no shortage of lively streets on this side of Cabo. The main street is lined with extravagant restaurants and clubs that are perfect for a fun night out. There is certainly a greater variety of restaurants and shops, but beware: Cabo San Lucas is definitely more touristy than the old town. One of the best experiences we had was eating at El Farallón, one of the most excellent restaurants in Cabo San Lucas. As I walked into the restaurant, I already felt like royalty because the service was impeccable. El Farallón is extremely pricey, but it’s an experience that is so much more than the food. Cabo San Lucas is more modern and expensive than San José del Cabo, but both towns have so much to offer!

Traveling to Cabo during this past winter break did not disappoint! I was shocked by how much there was to do and explore. I hope this gives you a better insight into the different parts of Cabo and the experiences each has to offer. Happy travels!

Contact Jackie Amendola at [email protected].