Take a break from the books: Must-see 2020 movies coming out this semester

IMDB/Courtesy

Each semester ends up being challenging in its own right. After a while, it can be nice to have a break from it all. Luckily, a new semester means there are also new movies coming out in theaters! Going to the movies is a great way to distract yourself from all of your school stress for at least as long as the movie lasts. Here are some movies coming out this spring that will hopefully give you a nice break from school!

“Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)” (Feb. 7)

People teaming up to beat the odds and survive is the perfect plot to escape to when the competitiveness of UC Berkeley has got you down!  Add superpowers, an all-women team, (probably) a lot of wanton chaos and destruction and you have this movie. Harley Quinn was one of the best parts of 2016’s “Suicide Squad,” so she’s sure to be a delight in this new team of all women. She’ll definitely add a good bit of chaos, that’s for sure!

“Sonic the Hedgehog” (Feb. 14)

This movie could be good or bad! At the very least, seeing it could be one of the more bizarre ways to spend a date night. It’s a movie about a blue hedgehog who has the power of super-speed and works with regular live-action humans against an evil scientist. While it’s possible this film will only be remembered for the controversy surrounding its design of the Sonic character, there’s still a chance this movie will be odd enough to make you forget about everything going on — except for what’s happening on the screen, of course!

“Fantasy Island” (Feb. 14)

A different approach to Valentine’s Day would be to go see this horror movie. This movie in particular, though, might be a better watch if you happen to be single on Valentine’s Day. After all, “Fantasy Island” is all about being careful what you wish for, so maybe it’ll make you think twice about wishing to have a date on Valentine’s Day.

“Bloodshot” (March 13)

Vin Diesel stars as an immortal superhero killing lots of people in a misguided attempt at revenge. If this sounds like the type of movie you could shut your brain off for a few hours in front of, then why not give it a shot! As an added bonus, it’s not connected to the Marvel or DC brands, so you shouldn’t have to spare a thought in figuring out how this connects to a larger cinematic universe.

“No Time to Die” (April 10)

This is another installment in the “James Bond” franchise, so if you go to see this movie you should expect spy action and espionage. If the trailers are anything to go by, the action and intrigue should be good this time around. If not, it’s still a “James Bond” film, so if you have any fondness for the franchise maybe you’ll get lost in this movie regardless.

So, go out to the movies and check out whatever they have. Hopefully, this list gives you a good excuse to forget about that big essay or midterm and just have some fun!

Contact Zachariah Nash at [email protected] .