Batter together: A recipe for red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting

flickr/Creative Commons

If I could eat just one dessert for the rest of my life, without a doubt it’d be red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. There’s just something about the light, soft cake paired with the rich cream cheese frosting that melts in my mouth — which makes it my favorite! Here is a tried-and-tested recipe for you to satisfy your sweet cravings!

Red velvet cake

Ingredients

2 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 ½ cups sugar

1 ½ cups oil

1 cup buttermilk

2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1 ½ tsp baking powder

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 eggs

Red food coloring

Directions

Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder). Next, combine the sugar, oil, eggs, red food coloring and vanilla extract using a standard mixer. Alternating between the mixture of dry ingredients and the buttermilk, gradually add both to the second mixture and stir. Once all three are fully incorporated, your batter is ready!

Line a standard 8-inch cake tin with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the lined cake tin and place it in your preheated oven. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.

Cream cheese frosting

Ingredients

2 sticks butter

1 ½ cups cream cheese

2 cups powdered sugar

Directions

In a standard mixer, combine the butter and cream cheese. Add the powdered sugar and mix until you’re left with a smooth and creamy frosting.

Bring the two components together by frosting your cake in any way you wish. Wasn’t that easy?

Contact Nandita Radhakrishnan at [email protected].