Former ASUC Senator Jenny Jungmin Kim resigns

Cheyenne Tex/File

Now former ASUC Senator Jenny Jungmin Kim announced her resignation at the second ASUC Senate meeting of the semester Wednesday.

Kim represented the Korean student community, and she also worked to support international student needs and welfare and to strengthen financial accessibility within the ASUC. Her work included events that promoted culture, community, professionalism and greater opportunities for students.

Kim attributed her resignation to many reasons but said the biggest factor was her need to take a break from work and school.

“Being on senate was maybe the last thing I wanted to give up at Cal,” Kim said at the meeting. “Even though I leave senate, I’ll be around Berkeley still, so I can probably see you guys outside of the class and campus and I’m really looking forward to that.”

Kim added that her existing projects will be continued through other senate and executive offices. Though she will no longer be a direct representative, she asked the senators to be receptive if she or former members of her office contacted them.

“It was my blessing to know you guys,” Kim said to the other senators at the meeting. “You are brilliant and talented individuals.”

According to ASUC Elections Council Chair James Weichert, there will be a “countback” of the votes allotted to Kim in 2019 in order to fill the vacant senate seat. The process will select someone from among the “still willing and eligible” senate candidates who lost during the 2019 ASUC election.

Senator Haazim Amirali, chair of the ASUC Governance and Internal Affairs Committee, of which Kim was a member, commented that he supported her decision and would miss her presence as a senator.

Members of the Korean community expressed their views on her resignation as well.

“It was really helpful to have a Korean American member in senate, so we’re gonna miss her,” said campus junior and president of the Korean American Student Association, or KASA, Cara Kim. “She was close with a lot of people in KASA. When she was a senator, she helped a lot of Korean clubs to get funding and to have a voice.”

Several senators echoed similar respects for Kim. In a Facebook post, Senator Romario, who does not use a last name, bid farewell to Kim, saying he admired her leadership, style and character.

Senator Milton Zerman called it “an honor” to have served alongside Kim not only in the senate but also on the Governance and Internal Affairs Committee.

“Senator Kim represented her constituents with integrity and courage while always remaining open to assisting fellow ASUC Senators on their projects,” Zerman said in an email.

In the coming days, the Elections Council will publish more details on how the vacant senate seat will be filled, according to Weichert.

Angelina Wang is a student government reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @dc_angelina.