BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 18, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

'NorCal Rapist' suspect Roy Charles Waller to be tried on 46 felony charges

FEBRUARY 03, 2020

A Sacramento Superior Court judge ruled Wednesday that NorCal Rapist suspect Roy Charles Waller, 60, will stand trial for a series of sexual assaults and other crimes committed over a 15-year period.

Waller will be tried on 46 felony charges, including 21 counts of rape and seven counts of kidnapping, as ordered by Judge Trena Burger-Plavan during Waller’s preliminary hearing. Burger-Plavan ruled there was enough evidence to try Waller, who, should he be convicted, faces up to life in prison.

According to Joseph Farina, Waller’s lead defense attorney, the case is relying upon DNA evidence, but two alleged rapes that occurred in Davis in 1997 do not have “any biological evidence in terms of DNA.”

“We continue to maintain Mr. Waller’s innocence,” Farina said. “We will continue to look at the DNA and go from there.”

At the time of his arrest in September 2018, Waller was a safety specialist in the UC Berkeley Office of Environment, Health and Safety — a position he held for 25 years. DNA test results matched Waller to the profile of the NorCal Rapist and linked him directly to a sexual assault that occurred in Sacramento in 2006.

The charges, spanning from 1991 to 2006, involve at least nine women across six counties in Northern California. Waller pleaded not guilty to all charges and is being held at Sacramento County Main Jail without bail, according to county jail records.

The formal complaint read aloud at Waller’s hearing alleged that in multiple incidents, Waller “engaged in the tying or binding of the victim.” Prosecutors alleged at the hearing that some assaults lasted for hours, and sometimes survivors were forced to drive Waller to ATMs to withdraw money from their accounts.

The complaint also alleged violations that included using a firearm in the commission of kidnappings and robberies.

Waller is set to appear in court again Feb. 13 for further proceedings, according to Sacramento Superior Court records.

Contact Amanda Bradford at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @amandabrad_uc.

FEBRUARY 04, 2020